Has anyone experienced buyers that don’t want to pay, pay and then claim a refund citing issue

pat3128
Community Member

Hello, 

Has anyone experienced buyers that don’t want to pay, pay and then claim a refund citing issue.

my buyer won an auction. They didn’t pay within 24 hours and then asked for an extension to pay, which I agreed to. On the said day, no payment was forthcoming so I lodged a non payment. Buyer promptly paid and item was sent. Buyer now asks for a refund claiming an issue. eBay states that I have to refund otherwise buyer keeps my item and I am forced to refund as well. Talk about lose lose

i am so frustrated, thinking about closing my eBay account. No protection for sellers. I have a 100% positive rating, buyer is brand new joined eBay a few days after my auction went live and yet I have no standing. Extremely disappointed 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Has anyone experienced buyers that don’t want to pay, pay and then claim a refund citing issue

so that you can receive appropriate advice you need to answer these questions

- what type of case did the buyer open? 

- how did the buyer pay?

- did you send the item with tracking and/or signature?

- what was the final price on the item?

Once you have provided this further information you should get more help from others who frequent these boards.

In the meantime, DO NOT escalate any case the buyer has opened.  If you do then you will definitely lose the case.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

@pat3128,

If you believe that a buyer is abusing the Money Back Guarantee, you may want to report an issue with a buyer. The reason would be:

❝You believe the buyer is misusing eBay Money Back Guarantee or the returns system❞

Take a look through the Abusive buyer policy to see if anything there fits this scenario. Some possibilities...

Don't make false claims

Not allowedNot allowed
  • [...]
  • Claiming an item was not as described in order to return the item when the seller did not offer free returns❞

... or ...

Don't misuse returns

Not allowedNot allowed
  • ...]
  • Returning an item with the reason that it was not as described when it was described accurately❞

You say that the buyer is very new; that means that the buyer won't have any history on eBay, or at least none under their current username. I'm not sure whether you should mention that in the report... eBay do say that they take a buyer's history into account, and of course eBay should be able to determine whether this new account is linked to any other accounts. If the buyer has any sort of history of making similar claims, it will count against them.

However, you should act promptly. If you leave the dispute unresolved, the buyer will after 3 days be able to ask eBay to step in, and that will be the worst outcome for you, resulting in a defect that can impact your account.

Keep any communication with the buyer very professional and polite.

You may want to contact eBay via Have us call you. eBay's "Have us call you" option is by far the best way to get in touch with eBay. (Emails are useless, for a number of reasons, but primarily because the responses, when they are finally sent, are bot-generated.)

eBay say: We'll call you at the phone number registered to your account, or you can enter a different number.

We’re available from 8am to 10pm AET, 7 days a week.

But... if none of that works, you'll need to bite the bullet and get the buyer to return the item. Only refund upon receiving the item back via a fully tracked method. You may want to take whatever precautions you can upon receiving back the item, by having an authorised person witness you receiving the parcel and unwrapping it, and taking photos of it or making a Stat Dec about the item's condition. The Abusive buyer policy is supposed to protect sellers from buyers who make false claims about SNAD...

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I have never trouble with non paying bidders until I changed everything to BIN. I've never had a problem since.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Hasn't the coffee kicked in yet shoppingbag?Smiley Wink

Your post doesn't make sense to me......I think you mean that you had problems with non payers before you changed to BIN with immediate payment required......now you don't have problems

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for you response, very helpful.

the buyer cited that she didn’t think my item was authentic as I had described. It was missing wash tags.  It does have the name brand tag and yes it is authentic. 

I’m not really sure where to from here, other than I feel like the whole system doesn’t protect sellers who are genuine.

I’m not an active eBayer but I have been a member for more than 5 years and never had feedback. Hoping that my stats would help

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Oops thought it was more than 5 years but eBay says I’ve only been registered since 2017. Even so, I’ve had over 100 positive feedback  and no negative feedback 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

The buyer requested a refund (even though I specified no refunds) on the basis that they didn’t feel the item was authentic.

The item is an authentic item, I can get the store to verify as I am a loyal shopper there.  

The buyer paid via paypal

parcel was sent Australia post using a signature on delivery

item was $229

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@pat3128 wrote:

Oops thought it was more than 5 years but eBay says I’ve only been registered since 2017. Even so, I’ve had over 100 positive feedback  and no negative feedback 

You have been an ebay member since 2005 so more than 5 years but you have only been a member of the boards since 2017.Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Yes, typing in a hurry, sorry for the confusion, being that I am not one of the perfect people who never make mistakes. My post should have read...I had lots of trouble with non paying bidders, now I have none since changing all my listings to "buy it now"

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply