Hi feedback eBayer offering over $$ if I send to USA

Hi All,

I have been on eBay since 2002 - so I have had my fair share of scams tried on me. 

Question: I currently have a high value item listed, and have been offered over what I am asking, from an Australian account with high feedback numbers and long-term member... but it screams scam. So I am trying to work out what is going on here. Could the account have been hacked?

Basics from the seller are:

I will pay XX more

Here's my email, send me a Paypal invoice.

I need it sent to USA, you can't send it to me here in Aus as I'm in hospital. 

Last account activity was about 11 months ago.

Cheers!

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ignore the message(s), normally I'd advise to use the callback option via Help & Contact, but call centres are currently shut down, however live chat is still available - just let them know the account username and that you suspect it's been hijacked or compromised - the message they sent could also be interpreted as trying to conduct a transaction off eBay, so you could report the account for that as well as it could mean messaging privileges are restricted which would at least mean they stop using it. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@bi-winnning wrote:

it screams scam.

Yep.

A genuine person would just ask if you will ship overseas, and what the costs would be if you can.

Anyone offering above asking price and asking for a direct PayPal invoice is pretty much guaranteed to be trying to scam (eg by sending a fake payment notification, which is a lot easier for them to do if they can bypass eBay checkout). 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks for this...
I guess I should report it.
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Actually - how should I report this - it's easy to do against a seller - but not as transparent against a buyer?
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@bi-winnning wrote:

Hi All,

I have been on eBay since 2002 - so I have had my fair share of scams tried on me. 

Question: I currently have a high value item listed, and have been offered over what I am asking, from an Australian account with high feedback numbers and long-term member... but it screams scam. So I am trying to work out what is going on here.

Could the account have been hacked?

Last account activity was about 11 months ago.

Yes.

They will normally hijack inactive accounts and high feedback gives them a better edge in being believed.

Basics from the seller are:

I will pay XX more

No one is going to pay more for an item then they have to.

Here's my email, send me a Paypal invoice.

They would pay with a stolen credit card or a hijacked PP account.

I need it sent to USA, you can't send it to me here in Aus as I'm in hospital. 

No chance of any recovery if postal address is different from PP Email and no chance of being investigated.

Total scam,don't message them and don't have anything to do with them.

Also be careful and watch out for any spoof Emails you may get.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Ignore the message(s), normally I'd advise to use the callback option via Help & Contact, but call centres are currently shut down, however live chat is still available - just let them know the account username and that you suspect it's been hijacked or compromised - the message they sent could also be interpreted as trying to conduct a transaction off eBay, so you could report the account for that as well as it could mean messaging privileges are restricted which would at least mean they stop using it. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@bi-winnning wrote:
Actually - how should I report this - it's easy to do against a seller - but not as transparent against a buyer?

Snap,Digi posted already.give_rose.gif

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks to you both - stay safe!
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply