How does Ebay choose what listing variation to show?

I have a listing with four sizes  6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm in that order (top to bottom) in the drop down box.

When searching for the item and then clicking through it defaults to the 13mm size, the last variant in the drop down box.  This is annoying as this is also the most expensive item.   This does not appear to happen to the major sellers of simlar items and believe this affects my sales.

Does anyone know how Ebay chooses that variation or how I can get it to default to top being the 6mm size?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It's definitely from clicking through to the listings from general search results, and not having any sizes mentioned in the keywords used to search?

I checked all of your listings with variations, and for me the selections are at the default (i.e. -Select-), and the pricing showing is also the lowest price available for a variation, but this changes if I adjust the selection. I also conducted a general search on sterling silver bead sleeper earrings - with this, if I click through to your listing, the default selections are 1pc, 6mm. If I put 13mm in the search bar as well, then the default selection was 1pc, 13mm. 

Pre-selected variations can also be in a link, if you've saved a link in some way, it might default to that and clearing cookies / cache might help, or testing in a private window / incognito, as any saved options, account logins, or browser history shouldn't affect results. 

eg 925-Sterling-Silver-Hoop-Ring-Bead-Sleeper-Earrings-Lip-Ear-Nose-Body-Piercing/392817924264?var=661709956286

That's the link to the silver sleepers, minus the http etc prefix, and the last bit I've bolded is the part that directs to a specific variation combo, and means if that was a live link, anyone who clicked it would arrive at the listing with 2pcs x 13mm options pre-selected.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks for your help on this matter.  Your explanation was thorough and easy to understand.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I was wondering if you could put that same scrutiny through my items when you get a chance - I'll even pay for suggestion and improvements feedback like your last post !!!
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I'm happy to help anyone if I'm able, I just can't promise a timeframe for how long it will take me. Some stuff I can get to quickly, other times it might take a while, but I'll definitely do what I can.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply