How long do I have to wait for a buyer to return an item

leo344
Community Member

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Would you give us a bit more information please?

Why are they returning the item, have you asked them when they posted the item, did you ask them for the tracking number?

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

leo344
Community Member

Thanks for responding.

The buyer opened a case against me for not receiving item. Then he did get it (lost or delayed in the post) and closed the case. He immediately opened another case against me for item not described.

In the first instance I offered a full refund.I sent 4 messages,  which got no response. I even offered to buy him a similar item as well as a refund, still no response.

The second case of not as described came with the description "other" and what seems to be a response saying he bought a similar item elswhere.

My listing describes a 55 year old record in every detail. There is no way it is "not as described".

I immediately offered a full refund again pending return of the record. That was 14 days ago and still no word. How long do I have to hold on to money I could use $33 AUD

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

PayPal buyer protection doesn't cover the buyer for change of mind, and finding / buying the item elsewhere at a lower price is definitely deemed "change of mind". It sounds like the dispute has been opened but hasn't been escalated to a claim - if neither you nor the buyer escalate it to a claim, the case will close automatically in your favour 20 days after it was opened.

If it is escalated to a claim, PayPal will actively decided on an outcome based on all of the information provided. If it very clearly explains the buyer wants to return it because they found it cheaper elsewhere, I'd suggest you escalate it yourself. If, on the odd chance, PayPal don't close the case in your favour after it's escalated, they will tell the buyer to return it to you at their expense (via trackable means), then provide proof it was returned. I believe they have up to ten days (not 100% sure) in which to do so. 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply