How to post a fire extinguisher

panda_4
Community Member

I have sold an antique fire extinguisher, empty and quite small, and I am wondering how to send it to the buyer. Australia Post will not take it as they class it as dangerous, even though it is empty.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to send this?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The best way is by courier.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you are going to use a courier you had better tell them what it is.  If AP class it as Dangerous Goods then most couriers will do so as well.

How did AP know what it was anyway.  If it is empty then there should not have been any need to tell them.  Is it some sort of aerosol?

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

What made the fire extinguisher work Soda or a plunger?

Either way it is the propellant that makes fire extinguishers dangerous goods. No propellant = no dangerous goods. 

I have found It's best to post them top unscrewed or with inspection/charging plate taken off

A brass empty unpressurized carcase is a collectable firemans tool.

A "fire extinguisher" is generally a pressurized vessel that requires a dangerous goods permit.

IMO it's like posting a mobile phone..... no battery = no danger

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Xb-1qdcKNkwJ:auspost.com.au/media/documents/dangerous-pro...

page 8 denotes fire extingiushers that are designated as being dangerous goods as "fire extinfuishers containing compressed or liquefied gas as Class 2 Non flammable, Non toxic gas..................

Empty non pressurized fire extinguishers do not contain compressed or liquefied gas and are not "dangerous goods"

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

and...who knew that alcohol if over 70% alcohol by volume requires a dangerous goods permit to post???

d2.9.4 disallowed.... internal combustion engines

d2.9.2 magnetic items that exceed .159 a/ms or more at 2.1 metres ie...... Bulk fridge magnets

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

d.3.2 coins and banknotes by registered post only with no compensation available

D3.3 Bullion....... disallowed regardless of metal type or postal mode 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

D 4.2 page 17 national heritage items..... there goes half the australiana section's listings as far as international post goes.....:|

D4.9 Articles sent to more than one person. Australia post prohibits in the international post a package that contains two or more packages adressed to different people 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

panda_4
Community Member

Thanks guys for the advice!

I managed to find a courier today that would take it. It was completely empty of any fluids or propellents so it should be fairly safe to ship now.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

carefully;\

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply