I am new here, how can I get a low shipping cost for sells?

zoeinryde
Community Member

Hi all,

I am new on ebay and I am planing to sell some cheap items. By browsing the existing listings, I found a lot of other sellers are selling similar items for around $6 and free shipping. BUT, the point is, I found the cheapest shipping cost which is from AUPost is $6.60 (other couriers even charge $2x.xx). I am confused here...how other sellers offering free postage for their listings? The item is about 5cmx6cmx6cm, 100g.

Can I have some advises please, which delivery service are you using for such a low delivery cost? Or, what kind of service are you purchasing from delivery company to lower your shipping cost? Bulk labels?

Thank you! I appreciate any reply!

Zoe

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I found a lot of other sellers are selling similar items for around $6 and free shipping. BUT, the point is, I found the cheapest shipping cost which is from AUPost is $6.60 (other couriers even charge $2x.xx). I am confused here...how other sellers offering free postage for their listings? The item is about 5cmx6cmx6cm, 100g.

Zoe, are the listings you are looking at from overseas sellers?

If they are, then Aust Post are obliged to deliver them under international agreements.  The postage in these instances are paid in the 'home' country, and if that happens to be China then they may only charge their citizens a few cents to post to Australia.  Not fair, and hard to compete against, but that's the universal postal obligation for you.

zoeinryde
Community Member

Hi leader-of-the-band, thanks for your reply. I am not looking at Chinese sellers, they sell similar items for below $4 and including shipping. I am only talking about sellers in Australia. I used to working in a warehouse, they sent 100kg item for $40 nationwide. I guess these sellers selling at $6 with free shipping might using similar kind of delivery services like the warehouse using. But I don't know which company and which service.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Zoe, it may be that they are Australian sellers that are drop-shipping.  This is where you buy from an Australian seller BUT the item is located offshore.  So, you buy from an Australian seller, but the item may in fact be posted from Hong Kong, mainland China or similar.  Therefore, they can post for cheap but nominate it as free postage.

Hi Zoe,

I started selling recently too and noticed the same thing in searches. Alot of people, even in Aus, are selling things with a low/competitive postage cost. The eBay postage center just seems to give the $6.20 price for small things but they may be able to be sent in large letters for much less. Here's a thread with some great tips from alot of different members:

http://community.ebay.com.au/topic/Selling/Lower-Postage-Fees/600150428

Also, here's some advice from the3coopers about how to send the same things for less price. Head down to the post office to have a check yourself and don't be afraid to ask about cheaper options. Just make sure to still package it safely and securely.

Postage is really simple - there are 5 main rules to selling on eBay and sending via Australia Post...

A) Up to 20mm thick & under 500g = Large Letter (3 prices depending on weight $1.20 125g / $1.80 250g / $3.00 500g)

B) Under 500g of any size = $6.60 Small parcel

(or if will fit in satchel, then use Click and Send 500g $6.45)

C) Under 3kg and fits in satchel = Click and Send 3kg $10.90

D) Up to 15kg and fits in mailing box = Ebay Flat Rate Boxes $7.20 / $12.75 / $16.25

E) Anything else up to 20kg and 1050mm long and 1400mm circumference = Calculated Postage.

And that is basically all there is to know about it.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

zoeinryde
Community Member

Hi leader-of-the-band, thank you very much for replying me. However, many of sellers are warehouse or shopfront based and welcome pickups. I think shipping from China/HK is not the true reason for this topic.

I am still searching online, contacting many of shipping services. I am really interesting in how they made it, I will find it out and post it here if I did.

Or if can I have some advises from any seller who doing such deals? I have asked few by messages but with not happy replys or no replys. haha.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

zoeinryde
Community Member

Hi thesoulyearns,

Thank you for your reply. I have read your post last night, it is good to know you found solution to post your CDs :-), but the item I am selling is 50mm thick minimum, I don't think it will fit in a large letter envolope. Even did, I guess Post won't send it for me... (just guess, haven't asked :-p) I will call them tomorrow.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

If they are large sellers they could have very good contract rates from Australia Post.

I am not sure what the items are you are selling but if it is the sort of thing you buy multiples or if they are add ons for other items etc then they may be working on the principle that they would be including a number of "free post" items in the one parcel so the actual postage cost would be spread over several items.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Some sellers sell items that commonly result in combined lots, and in those cases they may not offer discounts or only slight discounts for combining. The result is if they sell one item they end up subsidising shipping cost. But if combined items are added up often total is way more than real cost. Case of swings and roundabouts,

The low cost shipping items appear on searches and attract buyers. Who then get the buying bug once in the store.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Zoe some sellers state postage is free when it isn't really free. If it's a Buy It Now listing they might charge $8.00 for the item and $2.00 for postage and you think you will pay $10.00 and postage is free.

TCT
Message 10 of 18
Latest reply