I am stunned at the number of unsold items in completed listings.

I was going to list several items on ebay but on checking what they are selling for and whether auction or BIN I was stunned that most of the items are eith selling for $10 - $20 for secondhand hand made sterling silver rings, I was thinking about $80 to $100, then I looked at completed listing for jigsaw puszzles and most of the sort i have are not selling or if they do they are very cheap and so on and on I went looking at all the lovely items not selling.

I have a strict rule I try to follow and that is sell off stuff before buying anything new so with no listings and probably won't do anymore this year I won't be buying.

I feel one of the major problems is that too many items of cheap junk are wrongly listed therefore turnign off buyers.

If I want to look at an antique item then I don't want to see the words "brand new" in the title of so many listings in the antique category, ebay have killed the goose.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I guess you just have to find the right buyer but with Xmas coming up, I would say buyers might not be as thick on the ground for second hand items over the next month as people get busy and have other expenses.

One thing I have found as a buyer is I often prefer to buy some things from a  genuine small home seller, I might be looking for quality items, but to get to ads that have that genuine feel, I sometimes have to trawl through absolute mounds of chinese ads for items of questionable quality. It can be a turn off.

And some things that show up in a search bear no relationship to the key words in my search, I have no idea how that happens!

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

hi

i find it very time consuming as well

i put heaps in my watch list as im searching for items

then i go through my watch list and read everything and checkout pics

to see what to keep in my watch list

and as for selling it seems you need to put the starting bid at what you are willing to get for it

cause most times its lucky if you get 1 bid on alot of items

of course im glad to get 1 bid lol

and also glad if im the only bidder lol

tara

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I feel one of the major problems is that too many items of cheap junk are wrongly listed therefore turnign off buyers.

I fear you are very right there Bump, it is now a bit like when they used to offer free 99c listings, everyone listed their rubbish and the decent stuff got lost.

Now ebay give 40 free listings and every five minutes they hand out another 100 nobody has anything to lose except the time it takes to list. Looking at a lot of the listings created using the mobile app that must take them all of half a minute to fill in the details and write the one line description.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

YCorrect too many 'nasty' items are mixed with good ones, that is also MY problem... Selling art was easier when ebay offered sellers of quality australian items the catregory 'Australian Masters', but ever since they mixed the junk from allover the planet with the Australian quality products, the prospective purchaser is confused. Some bureaucrats at eBay have really NO idea...

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

To do a listing won't cost me anything but I am getting to the point where I just can't be bothered.

I know I sell good quality items but they are lost on page 67 after all the cheap non-antique, non-used, non-fine jewellery from China.

Maybe with Global warming all their cheap metal will melt in the hold of the cargo planes. (Well, a girl can dream, can't she?)

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply