I have a buyer saying item isnt as described,he says he recieved it today and went and got it fixed

Spoiler
He apparently  got it fixed  but has only contacted me afterwards,  he wants me to pay for repairs.
shouldnt he have contacted me first before doing anything like that.
he has given me no chance to do anything about it.
i have offered to refund in full if he returns it.
also i have asked for reciepts of repairs which he has sent 4 photos now but i cant read any of them but one looks like it was dated 3 days before even recieving the item from me.
he is also charging for for 2 parts $10 each that he now says he didnt buy at all but he says thats what there worth to buy,and even they can be bought for a few dollars each on ebay.
he is being very difficult what can i do.
i fully tested all items and they worked fine for me before posting.
nintendo 64 and games and controls is the items
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I have a buyer saying item isnt as described,he says he recieved it today and went and got it fixed

He can return for refund for price paid, and that is about it. You will also have to pay for return post. At least thats the way its processed if he wants to force a refund via ebay.

Of course there is nothing stopping him from making it inoperable before sending it back.

It is supposed to come back in condition sent, however you dont have much power in enforcing that.

So it comes down to which is the best deal for you. Repair cost, or getting it back with full refund with a good chance it will be now be busted (even though he has had it repaired). Or do nothing and see if he drops it or does an Ebay claim.

Why do you think this has happened, why would they have taken it for repair if it was fine, or do you think the repair is fraudelent?

PS your message is hid in the spoiler section rather than in main message section

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

thefunkypickersshed2014 wrote:
He apparently  got it fixed  but has only contacted me afterwards,  he wants me to pay for repairs.
shouldnt he have contacted me first before doing anything like that.
he has given me no chance to do anything about it.
i have offered to refund in full if he returns it.
also i have asked for reciepts of repairs which he has sent 4 photos now but i cant read any of them but one looks like it was dated 3 days before even recieving the item from me.
he is also charging for for 2 parts $10 each that he now says he didnt buy at all but he says thats what there worth to buy,and even they can be bought for a few dollars each on ebay.
he is being very difficult what can i do.
i fully tested all items and they worked fine for me before posting.
nintendo 64 and games and controls is the items

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

In a nutshell.... No deal!

If everything is as explained in your post, there are several red flags raised (carrying out repairs before contacting you, possibly before even receiving the item o.O , asking for money for parts not even purchased, sending unreadable receipts....? On their own they might be resonably explained, but together it seems a bit much).

That being said, if you are prepared to work with the buyer (you actually don't have to, in point of fact, the buyer has altered the original condition of the item and therefore voided their buyer protection - it seems they have also sent you proof, via eBay I presume, that they have voided their protection)... but anyway, if you do want to work with them, let them know that unfortunately you can't read the recipts they've submitted and ask for ones that clearly show all of the necessary details. If they have any difficulty providing that, then the main details via message will suffice (that is, business name, contact number, address, receipt number, description of purchase and total paid, since that will enable you to verify what you need to. 

Personally, I would not be offering to pay for any unauthorised repairs, and at best I would offer a refund of the item price only if they're returned, which doesn't really seem feasible since the buyer has chosen to invest in repairs of their own volition. 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, bit I can't help but wonder if the buyer had an existing broken one . . . . . . receipt dated 3 days before receiving goods and is now trying to claim those repairs from OP ??

Don't know much about them, but do they have Serial numbers or unique identifying numbers ?

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

That's a very good point MB. If that is the case, it's also possible if the OP accepts a return, they may well end up with a completely broken or faulty one. Unless they photographed serial numbers, they would have a heck of a time trying to prove they didn't get their own one back.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

That's a very good point MB. If that is the case, it's also possible if the OP accepts a return, they may well end up with a completely broken or faulty one. Unless they photographed serial numbers, they would have a heck of a time trying to prove they didn't get their own one back.

There are lots of possibilities along with buyer didn't know it to be as faulty as they thought until sent it for service, then to request recompense in hindsight due to extent.

The only truth is OP is unlikely to discover the whole truth. So it comes down to choosing either a compromise or leave it in the hands of whatever happens via any potential Ebay claim which could either be rejected or leave OP now with a broken item they have had to pay to get back, or anything in between.

I think my choice would be based on buyer attitude.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I would want to see the date clearly on the repair receipts/invoices and my decision on how to move forward would be based on the dates - (assuming the item was tracked and received date can be proven).  If in fact the dates are prior to receipt, I would be straight onto eBay and nip this one in the bud, so to speak.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Dear customer

I am sorry that you are unsatisfied with the quality of the item you received however by having it repaired you have voided your buyer protection, to qualify an item must be returned in the same condition as it was received. I cannot read the receipts you sent but if you read the Ebay policy on returns you would see that you took on the responsibility and cost of a repair yourself and I would only be responsible for the cost had I agreed to the repair.

Yours etc

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Let me guess, 2 parts = 2 analog sticks. Nintendo's biggest mistake since the front-loading NES.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply