I have been contacted for a refund as the buyer thinks the item is fake!

bec433
Community Member

I sold a girls Fred Bare coat (NWOT).  It was listed as such with photos and accompanying description.  Buyer received item and contacted me to say they thought it was a fake and they want their money back.  I can guarantee items authenticity but cannot find original receipt.  I have contacted Fred Bare to confirm authenticity.  Still pending their response.  I have agreed to refund buyer the item price.  Do I have to refund postage?  

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Actually I am pretty sure they have to return the item to you via trackable means to get a refund.

They should have commenced an item not as described dispute, returned the item and paypal would have decided whether you or the buyer was in the right.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Don't refund until you get the item back.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Your buyer should go thru Paypal for a refund &U should not entertain to do refunds any other way.

U have to be quite aware of scams on these sites today - the buyer could get a refund & then not send the coat back.

If Paypal agrees with the buyer they will insist the buyer send back the item with trackable post at their own cost, but I think U have to refund the original postage.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I have NEVER heard of a counterfeit Fred Bare item-that is very odd.

Has the buyer given any reason as to why they don't think it's authentic ?

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

They thinks its a fake because the word 'Fred Bare' is not seen on the buttons?  The lable tag inside the coat is 'Fred Bare'.  I think  the buyer has changed her mind.  I would rather hear that than 'it's fake' !!!  

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Stick with what everyone here is saying, wait for the item to be returned at their expense via trackable (registered) post. 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Just wondering if I have to refund original postage charges.  She is threatening negative feedback.  I have taken the item back even with her lame excuse that the item is fake when I know full well its an genuine article.  Shes been harrassing every step of the way.  I have the jacket back now and am ok with its condition.  Anyway not sure of the rule on refunding postage charges.  If she wanted to return the item to a shop would they refund petrol expenses?  Please help.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Do you have to? No.

Should you? Tricky, some sellers do, some sellers don't. I do if it was my fault, and in this instance, the buyer "thinks" its your fault. Your buyer doesn't seem to really play fair, eh? They'll likely leave you bad feedback if you don't, but then there's nothing saying she won't anyway.

If she does though, it is probably worth giving eBay a call and getting them to read your PM's where she threatened you with bad feedback. I think that's grounds for it's removal (at least it is where they are demanding a service you don't offer) worth a shot.

Just be cautious though, if you mention feedback in any of your messages, it might backfire as you're not supposed to discuss feedback. (well I read that here in a thread somewhere, so it must be true, right?)

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply