If buyer is leaving a negative, does ebay ask if seller has been contacted?

Hi there, if a buyer is leaving a negative does the automatic questions ask if he has contacted the seller?

Just wondering if this is the case , what if they lie?

Thank you

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As far as I am concerned, if I had an issue with a broken item etc I would always contact a seller first before launching into negative feedback. I don't see how any seller can fix a problem unless they know of it.

Someone (it is so annoying not to be able to see all the posts while I am writing this) suggested giving a reply to the negative they gave you, just saying they should have contacted you first. I would do that for sure.

Any time I read feedback & see a buyer who gave negative without giving a seller a chance, I can read between the lines as to who the ding-a-ling is, don't worry about that.

And ghostie (I think it was) yes, I think the seller I almost gave neutral to was a power seller. But even a 7 day cooling off period wouldn't have worked with me except I got good communication back from the seller in the end and because of previous purchases, I let it drop. But I notice other buyers after me who didn't (one for the exact same type of pots that were supposed to be sold to me). Really, that is incompetence, to list the same missing item twice, the second time after having had a hassle with a previous buyer (me).

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

When the buyer leaves a negative or neutral a warning pops up and asks if they really want to leave that feedback.  It used to be a direct question as to whether they had contacted the seller but that changed recently.

Yes, it is quite probable that buyers lie....if they are determined to leave bad feedback they will not be put off by a question where they just tick a box.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I think it would be a good idea if the buyer had to proove contact...... at least the seller would have a small window of opportunity to resolve any issues.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

In some cases, where the seller could have made a mistake in the description rather than have told an outright lie then a buyer should of course contact the seller to see how they respond however if the seller has been deliberately deceptive ie selling clothes as BNWOT when they have obviously been washed, saying it is in excellent condition when it is not etc then I would be leaving a neg whatever their response to contact was so I see no reason for not leaving it straight away although I would of course contact them too, by way of a Paypal dispute!.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

You can't give neutral feedback at all for a few days after a sale. I think that is right, anyway.

The reason I think this is a few weeks ago I bought some garden pots, went to collect, and they didn't have some of them, tried to slip in smaller, different ones into my boot without telling me.Smiley Frustrated

If they had actually explained and asked if I minded a substitute, I would have been okay. But they didn't, so I wasn't happy, went to give neutral feedback but the system wouldn't let me.

Told me I would have to wait 4 days.

Actually, after 4 days I just decided not to give feedback at all, so making people wait & let tempers cool can work.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

They must have been a Power Seller - you can't leave a neg or neut FB for a PS until 7 days from the date of sale. (Probably one of the few half-decent benefits of being a Power Seller). 

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Nothing seeems as bad after a couple of days so I understand waiting to leave  neutral or negative that obviosly works for the seller .

my problem is to do with my business account. I have been left a negative for goods damaged  (in post I assume) ....as definitely 100% when sent out....... Haven't heard of anyone sending out broken items on purpose.........Just seems that an email  first  would have been good ...... not negative. I have contacted the buyer to offer resolution but no reply........makes it tough going sometimes.

I won't dwell on it , just wondered if there was a safety net somewhere for sellers to protect them.

What should my feedback be  for this buyer   when  they had to be reminded to pay  ,  then buyer sent an email the day they paid ....where is my item ? and then a negative.......with no contact.

All my communication was polite so I don't  think that's what happened ........I should have seen it coming.

thanks again

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

yeah there is some real crackers out there.

I wouldnt bother leaving this buyer feedback.

Neg positives can be removed and they arent really a good look anyhow..

I'd block them and leave a calm reply to the neg feedback they left you.

Say something like your always quite happy to refund for items damaged in post had you been contacted and given the opportunity.

Something like that anyhow.

Most buyers will see the situation for what it is and it wont stop them from buying from you.

It can be very frustrating but try not to let it bother you.

Unfortunately you are occasionally going to come across these buyers from hell. 🙂

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

As far as I am concerned, if I had an issue with a broken item etc I would always contact a seller first before launching into negative feedback. I don't see how any seller can fix a problem unless they know of it.

Someone (it is so annoying not to be able to see all the posts while I am writing this) suggested giving a reply to the negative they gave you, just saying they should have contacted you first. I would do that for sure.

Any time I read feedback & see a buyer who gave negative without giving a seller a chance, I can read between the lines as to who the ding-a-ling is, don't worry about that.

And ghostie (I think it was) yes, I think the seller I almost gave neutral to was a power seller. But even a 7 day cooling off period wouldn't have worked with me except I got good communication back from the seller in the end and because of previous purchases, I let it drop. But I notice other buyers after me who didn't (one for the exact same type of pots that were supposed to be sold to me). Really, that is incompetence, to list the same missing item twice, the second time after having had a hassle with a previous buyer (me).

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:
(it is so annoying not to be able to see all the posts while I am writing this)

When you are replying, down the bottom a bit below the reply box, but above the message you are replying to is a heading "Replying to:"

Directly above that is a blue hyperlink that says "View discussion in a popup" - click on that, it will open up the thread in a new tab and you can scroll back and forwards as much as you like.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply