Insurance claim

Advice please. Buyer bought three porcelain items from me.One item arrived with a hairline crack.Total cost was $75. I took extra insurance cover of $100 in case of loss or damage in transit. Buyer says they cannot claim as they have disposed of the packaging, but is now asking me to refund $25. This infers that the fault is mine.I pack very carefully as my record shows, I handled the items when taking the photos and when packing and did not see any damage or I would not have posted.

What action should I take? I want to do the right thing.

I appreciate and thank all members for advice given and time taken to answer my query.Patricia.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Insurance claim

Hi Pat,

Normal procedure is you refund the customer for the damaged item and seeing as you took out the insurance, you make a claim.

And ask the buyer if they could kindly send a picture or two of the damaged item for your insurance claim.

But try to get the pictures before refunding otherwise you probably won't see anything from them after a refund.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Insurance claim

Even if the buyer had the packaging you would be the one in a million if AP agreed to pay up as they will say it was not packaged well enough, you almost need evidence of tyre tracks across the parcel to prove them at fault.

As they would almost certainly win a dispute you may be beter off just agreeing to the $25 refund, better than a total loss as you would not be able to resell it even if you paid to get it back.

If you do refund make sure you do it through the Paypal transaction.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Insurance claim

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Ask for a photo of the damage....do not refund until you have it.

There are too many buyers after freebies these days.

Even if they open a formal dispute you still have the right to see what they are claiming is wrong.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Insurance claim

Hairline cracks can be extremely hard to photograph. Some are hard enough to find, even when you know they're there from doing the ping test.

There might be too many buyers after freebies but there are also too many sellers who think they pack well but don't pack well enough.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Insurance claim

If Aus post refuse the claim tell them you will take it to Postal ombudsman - Might surpris you how quick they pay you! 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Insurance claim

If the buyer refuses to send a photo you can be pretty sure they are after a freebie.

At least if they try to take a photo you have a bit more confidence that the claim is genuine.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Insurance claim

Problem solved. I offered buyer half the amount which was accepted and I have refunded via Paypal.

Many thanks to all members who responded. Patricia.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply