Is it to dangerous to sell here anymore ?

Hi , I used to sell by auction high end items on another account , stopped when the new rules cut in .

To be scammed on an expensive item would destroy me .  Cat Sad

Is there anyway to fully protect oneself now as a seller  ?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

cq_tech
Community Member
Sure. Sell with pick-up only and request payment in cash. However, this is obviously not practical, and as soon as you introduce a third party into the transaction, whether it be Australia Post or Paypal, your risk factor increases enormously, and while you can certainly protect yourself to a very high degree, you can never eliminate the risk entirely unless you only sell face to face and for cash..
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Don't bother as ebay no longer seems to want you

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I have NO idea why anyone would sell on here anymore.  Anyway nothing sells.  Ive just uploaded alot of items on my facebook page and sold heaps in the last hour without having to spend time listing anything.  

Only thing ebay is good for now is completed listing so i can see how much items sell for  Then i sell alittle bit less and sell 3 times quicker on facebook.  Sell on quicksales and i sell quite abit on there as well.  Ebay is done and dusted and they deserve all they get!!

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:
you can never eliminate the risk entirely unless you only sell face to face and for cash..

True, but the risk can be reduced significantly by selling on Gumtree... no buyer protection, only seller protection, and if you get a payment from an unregistered user, you can refund it and refuse service without consequence...or so I assume (thus eliminating the risk of not having protection from a chargeback).

Gumtree not being the most viable site for a lot of items being the rub, though. And I suspect the no buyer protection thing will have an effect on the non-cash on pick-up market there (then again, I don't use the site for buying or selling, so I actually have no idea what the market over there is like, except for the stories I hear about strange buyers / sellers... o_O). 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply's , I'm isolated so pick up is just not viable .

Guess I will wait for the  return to the good old days again for sellers   .

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

To be honest, I don't think it's quite as bad some are suggesting.

If it's an expensive item, send it with tracking and signature on delivery. This will generally eliminate the possibility of a buyer claiming Item Not Received.

Make sure to also take plenty of photos. Use all twelve photos to show absolutely anything a buyer might think is a problem. If colours differ to into photos, mention this in the item description.

If a buyer still wants to claim Significantly Not As Described, one of the options you have to ask the buyer to send it back to you (at your cost). You will have to shell out the cost to send the item back, but on a very expensive item, it will mean that you still have the item and the buyer won't.

So, worst case scenario, you may have pay postage for an item there and back. Postage in Australia isn't cheap, but on a very expensive item, it still might be worth a shot. Might also be worth paying for AusPost insurance and make your listing very descriptive in order that you can strongly argue against Item Significantly Not As Described.

Sure, it's a bit stressful maybe, but that's just the cost you pay these days for using the most popular onlike marketplace in the country. 😕

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply