Is there anything I should watch out for - selling gift card

I sold a gift card last night (physical card. Unwanted gift). I said on listing that I would mail out registered post (signature required). He has already paid

The person who bought it asked me for the number of the card and details and type them out and send them to him.

It sounds like he might use it online. Right? OK that seems reasonable. Does this all sound okay so far? Could he come back and scam me?

He is not responding to my questions. I've tried emailling him twice. I hope he replies tonight. 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Don't give the number.

Mail it out and ensure the tracking shows delivered.

Otherwise he could use it and claim not received.

Explain to the buyer that eBay protocol requires the item sent, not downloaded by digital means.

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

I did give the number (a photo of the back) but didn't give him the PIN. I haven't scratched that off yet. I'm tempted to so I can check the balance

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Well if the pin is not scratched yet, then the balance must be intact and as stated.

I wouldn't scratch it, just send with tracking.

image host
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Thank you! Woman Happy

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I just pretended to buy something at Myer with a gift card, it does ask for the PIN so that's good. 

I do remember a few years ago selling an Event Cinemas card on here, and an employee warned me against showing the card number on my listing, because they didn't bother with the PINs, so effectively someone could see the pic on Ebay and go ahead and use it up

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

NEVER send anything like this online! They will use the card and then claim they never received it or that someone used their ebay account without their permission, and request (and receive) a refund as you have no proof of postage. Ugh.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Well the recipient just sent me a message to say their account was hacked and that they didn't buy this voucher. They have opened up a case with Paypal

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I did get a tracking number and had sent it registered mail

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I sent Paypal the tracking details etc and a picture of the receipt. They said the full amount ($95) is covered under Seller's Protection.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply