Is this buyer dodgy?

What do you think of this buyer?

She made me a reasonable offer on a garment and also said that she was currently staying in my country town so she was happy to collect. Coincidence!

I accepted her offer.  After not receiving payment I messaged her (by way of a reminder) and said I lived out of town and I’d meet her in town & nominated a public place.

She replied and said she also lived out of town & suggested meeting in a lane (?!) and where did I live, and asked if she could pay cash.

I said no, she should pay via Paypal and that I was happy to come into town.  At this point my antennae were up.

Her Ebay record shows her as a seller & a member for the last 12 months only, and that she has never bought anything.  Odd?

Her address is that of another name altogether and the address is IN my country town, and not ‘out of town’.

Can you change your name & address easily? For instance if you were travelling?

Thanks for helping.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Is this buyer dodgy?

Cash on pick up is better for both buyer and seller.

But always meet in a public place if you don't want anyone to your house.

I don't get PP for pick up items as they can do a chargeback and get money back.

She might have used a friends account to buy or it could be a hijacked account but if paying cash then no gain unless you were going to be robbed when meeting.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Is this buyer dodgy?

Cash on pick up is better for both buyer and seller.

But always meet in a public place if you don't want anyone to your house.

I don't get PP for pick up items as they can do a chargeback and get money back.

She might have used a friends account to buy or it could be a hijacked account but if paying cash then no gain unless you were going to be robbed when meeting.

image host
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Is this buyer dodgy?

Especially  in a lane Smiley Surprised

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Is this buyer dodgy?

I would ONLY accept CASH for a collection item.

How do you know they have never purchased anything?..not that it matters if they have or have not.

Yes you can change your name and address easily.

The only concern(to me) is meeting in a lane.

If you are worried then block...only you can make that decision.

I wouldn't...but then I am male.. weigh 115 kilos & stand 195. & would have the company of a dog of similar proportions to accompany me.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Is this buyer dodgy?

Yes, you can change your name and address to whatever you like, whenever you like.

Why would you insist on PayPal for a pick up item? That's asking for trouble. She could drive away and open a INR and there's nothing you can do about it because you can neither prove postage, or delivery.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Is this buyer dodgy?

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

I would ONLY accept CASH for a collection item.

How do you know they have never purchased anything?..not that it matters if they have or have not.

Yes you can change your name and address easily.

The only concern(to me) is meeting in a lane.

If you are worried then block...only you can make that decision.

I wouldn't...but then I am male.. weigh 115 kilos & stand 195. & would have the company of a dog of similar proportions to accompany me.

You have a 6'4" high dog?

Ring the Western Bulldogs asap.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Is this buyer dodgy?

lol...even taller on his hind legs...he has a red & white scarf so not going to Foodescray(sorry that's my best Franco Cozzi accent):smileytongue:

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Is this buyer dodgy?

Any person-to-person sales I've done I've tended to arrange to take place in the foyer of a local bank branch, particularly if it's for a significant amount.

Means the buyer should realise there are security cameras recording everything, plus I can deposit the cash immediately.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Is this buyer dodgy?

The occasional buyer who has lived near me and come to pick up an item, we've treated it more like a Gumtree transaction. Item not paid for, nor "sent" until we've exchanged the cash and the item, always downstairs in the grounds of my high rise building where it's fairly public and there are cameras, and no one knows which of the 120 apartments I might live in.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Is this buyer dodgy?

Thank you everyone for your advices and concern.  Met the buyer and exchanged - all good.  jane

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply