Is this common place now?

Hi everyone I was hoping you could shed some light for me.

I have added best offer to most of my listings, as a result everyday wihtout fail I am getting messages from buyers wanting to make an offer quote: " I will pay straight into your paypal account no ebay fees". I love getting offers dont get me wrong, just a bit gobsmacked and the amount of people prepared to cheat the system so openly  .lol If this was just the odd buyer I wouldnt bother the board with it but this is now 2-3 buyers per day!!

Is this a common thing now on ebay since ebay & paypal became 2 separate entities. Are any of you experiencing the same thing?

Thanks in advance 

reta 🙂

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I think I read that these offers are not genuine - they are scammers looking for your paypal address.    😞

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I get it occasionally and reply with.

I am a regular responder in the eBay answer centre and it is against eBay rules to buy n sell off eBay.

I follow the rules and don't wish to break them as it is also a reportable offence.

Never hear back, funny that. Smiley Happy

Edit - curraone is probably also right.

image host
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

I think I read that these offers are not genuine - they are scammers looking for your paypal address.    😞

wow I never thought of that ty so muchSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

yes Kopes, I have been telling them "I dont do business in this manner".

I havent heard back from any of them.

I got one yesterday that was from a 0 fb buyer who had only signed up this month, thought it was very suss, the language they used certainly indicated they werent a first timer on ebay.

I also got a message from paypal asking me to change my password as they detected an irregularity, never had that happen before.

Checked my account and all seems to be in order....got to admit I am a little worried now. I havent accepted one of these offers, there has been around 12 of them in the last 5 days.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Hope you didn't click on the link in the email and went through a reliable way or made sure the email was genuine....

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I got an email from PayPal a couple of weeks ago saying they had detected suspicious activity. I logged in via the browser and the same message appeared there. Long story short, I had logged in via my phone using 4G and not the home wifi (which I don't usually do). The system didn't recognise the IP address. I had no choice but to change my password as it wouldn't let me do anything without doing so.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply