Lesson learned the hard way: a buyer can accept an offer but not pay!

I have stopped auctioning items due to having some buyers not pay for four days, or not pay at all. Similarly, I don’t have ‘allow offers’. I just do buy it now listings. But today I learned the hard way that when eBay prompts you to send offers to interested buyers, it’s possible for a buyer to accept but not pay. Exactly like an auction. So now I have to wait a minimum four days before I can cancel due to non payment and relist the item. So I will never be making offers again either. Have you ever had a buyer accept an offer (when eBay prompts you to make offers to interested buyers), and then not pay? How can a buy it now item be sold if they haven’t paid?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

It's a complete mystery to me why any buyer would accept an offer if they don't actually want the item.

But then, there are none so queer as folk, I guess, and you get all sorts using ebay.

Whether that should stop you from ever making offers, I don't know. I hope not. Perhaps continue to have your Buy it now listings, but if you do get the occasional prompt to send offers, give it another go. Not all of us are non payers & if someone is watching your item, then an offer might be just the thing to prompt them to buy.

It worked on me this week, anyway. Not that I accepted the offer but I made an offer on an identical item with another seller & I probably would not have done that except the original offer made me think-yes, I was going to buy one of those. It had been in my watch list for a while. But I quite often do buy from offers, they are always a little bit exciting to get. (I live a dull life.😁)

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

Thanks, appreciate everyone’s understanding. In summary, I think the solution is:

1. When I see a prompt from eBay suggesting I make offer to interested buyers, be aware that it’s possible for a buyer to accept an offer but not pay for it.  The item may be off the market for minimum four days.

2. Many sellers find that most buyers do pay, and offers can help drive up sales on eBay overall as well as your own items 

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Can you tick the instant payment required box in the listing. I would think it works for offers but have never used it.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

How do you know they arent going to pay?

I use offers all the time and it is a great way to bring in a sale or 2.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

I was going to offer some, probably irrelevant, advice, but you've been a member longer than me, and by definition know more.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Do you do both, send offers and have offers enabled in your listings. Have you used the immediate payment option with any success.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Yeah, I haven’t had a problem with offers before. But this is also the first time I discovered that a buyer can accept an offer without paying for it. This particular buyer just seems odd too. They have only one rating but have been on eBay for 6 months. I guess it’s just been a rough week as I had three non payers on auctions, one who waited four days to pay then bought another item and did the same thing (I’ve now blocked that buyer). And then today is the first time I’ve realised that a buy it now listing can still have a delayed payment.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Thanks for your tip. I can’t see that option on the listing form. (I list using mobile). I can have a look via seller dashboard. 

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

I just looked and only works for buy it now. I am sure I have heard of talk about this issue but it may be from US boards and something that was looked into but not yet implemented. Hopefully its something they change in the future.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

@brickworksmarket wrote:

I just looked and only works for buy it now.

The time to have done that was BEFORE your first post on this thread.....................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Why, I have found most new features start on US ebay and slowly filter down to other sites. As I don't use it I have not kept on what was happening with regards to buyers needing to complete checkout on offers. At least the OP will be aware to keep an eye out for when it does as it has been an issue for many sellers.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply