Listing optimization

Hi, 

I have 4 products that I am selling through 7 listings. As time passes by, most of the listings have fallen down drastically. Is there a free way to SEO and bring 'em up. I know about TeraPeak but don't want to spend too much as the business itself is not generating enough to cover this extra cost. 

Furthermore, if we edit a listing, does it change the URL? I have printed a flyer with QR code linked to the listing. Am I OK to revise the listing without causing harm to QR code? 

Usman

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Listing optimization

Revising an item won't have any effects except it won't show in searches for maybe a few hours each time it's revised.

I noticed you have a store and with only 7 sales and 12 listings in the last month it may be better to close the store and simply list as a normal account using the 40 free listings per month.

Most members recommend opening a store if you have 100-200 listings for it to be cost effective.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Listing optimization

Make some of your listings "price + postage". No need to have everything free postage.

Every week or two change the first pic.

No need to have identical pics for same products.

Change the key words in title.

No need to have identical titles for same products.

Use the "markdown manager" if you have SMP to give weekend/weekly discounts & specials.

Try the "subtitle" option. Expensive, but see how it goes for a month.

Move the prices up and down occasionally. 

My opinion is that listings that just sit and are unmodified drop down the rankings, especially without sales.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Listing optimization

My niche can see listings sit for years before a sale. Even some I gave a rest years ago have sold on relist. Swings, roundabouts and having stuff buyers (eventually) want.

But I have significantly more than 7 listings.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Listing optimization

I have to agree that having a store is probably not cost effective, for your volume of sales you are not going to be paying less in FVFs than you are spending on the store.

You can list all your items as BINs for 30 days relisting them every month as long as you don't waste money by listing in more than one category.

I would charge a nominal postage fee, I work on $5 per item, so if anyone wanted more than one of your knife sharpeners you could discount the postage. I see no point in having separate listings for different quantities if the buyer is not saving money by buying more than one at a time.

You could list the back support belts as different listings for each size which gives you more exposure.

See what a trendsetter I am?

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Listing optimization

Revising listings can sometimes give a temporary little boost, but the main things that are known to boost rankings are new listings (they get a temporary boost), and sales. 

The URL is linked to the item number, which is permanent until the listing ends, so even though if you click on one of your listings you'll see the item title in the URL, you can actually omit that and just leave the item number and you'll still have a working link (which I mention in case you ever change the item title).

eg I clicked on the Hercules belt from your list of items for sale, and the URL in the address bar looks a bit like this (if you mouse-over the link, it will show it in full and you can see just how long they can be 😮 ) :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hercules-Weight-Lifting-Bodybuilding-Back-Support-Leather-Belt-6-/1821069...

But, when I remove all the superfluous info, you still get a working link : 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182106914752?

You can see the item number is the only unique info in the second link, so if your QR code works based on that, nothing you do to the listing (aside from ending it) should affect the code. 

That being said, if it actually comes down to it, you may still benefit from asking yourself if a working QR code is more important than making changes to help be more visible on the site your item is listed on (depends on where your sales are coming from, really - but if you update your QR code to link to your store, or just all your items for sale if you decide to ditch it, you won't need to worry about that again 😉 ). 

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Listing optimization

Revising an item won't have any effects except it won't show in searches for maybe a few hours each time it's revised.

I noticed you have a store and with only 7 sales and 12 listings in the last month it may be better to close the store and simply list as a normal account using the 40 free listings per month.

Most members recommend opening a store if you have 100-200 listings for it to be cost effective.

image host
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Listing optimization

Make some of your listings "price + postage". No need to have everything free postage.

Every week or two change the first pic.

No need to have identical pics for same products.

Change the key words in title.

No need to have identical titles for same products.

Use the "markdown manager" if you have SMP to give weekend/weekly discounts & specials.

Try the "subtitle" option. Expensive, but see how it goes for a month.

Move the prices up and down occasionally. 

My opinion is that listings that just sit and are unmodified drop down the rankings, especially without sales.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Listing optimization

My niche can see listings sit for years before a sale. Even some I gave a rest years ago have sold on relist. Swings, roundabouts and having stuff buyers (eventually) want.

But I have significantly more than 7 listings.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Listing optimization

I have to agree that having a store is probably not cost effective, for your volume of sales you are not going to be paying less in FVFs than you are spending on the store.

You can list all your items as BINs for 30 days relisting them every month as long as you don't waste money by listing in more than one category.

I would charge a nominal postage fee, I work on $5 per item, so if anyone wanted more than one of your knife sharpeners you could discount the postage. I see no point in having separate listings for different quantities if the buyer is not saving money by buying more than one at a time.

You could list the back support belts as different listings for each size which gives you more exposure.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Listing optimization

Revising listings can sometimes give a temporary little boost, but the main things that are known to boost rankings are new listings (they get a temporary boost), and sales. 

The URL is linked to the item number, which is permanent until the listing ends, so even though if you click on one of your listings you'll see the item title in the URL, you can actually omit that and just leave the item number and you'll still have a working link (which I mention in case you ever change the item title).

eg I clicked on the Hercules belt from your list of items for sale, and the URL in the address bar looks a bit like this (if you mouse-over the link, it will show it in full and you can see just how long they can be 😮 ) :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hercules-Weight-Lifting-Bodybuilding-Back-Support-Leather-Belt-6-/1821069...

But, when I remove all the superfluous info, you still get a working link : 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182106914752?

You can see the item number is the only unique info in the second link, so if your QR code works based on that, nothing you do to the listing (aside from ending it) should affect the code. 

That being said, if it actually comes down to it, you may still benefit from asking yourself if a working QR code is more important than making changes to help be more visible on the site your item is listed on (depends on where your sales are coming from, really - but if you update your QR code to link to your store, or just all your items for sale if you decide to ditch it, you won't need to worry about that again 😉 ). 

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Listing optimization

Hi kopenhagen5

thanks for the reply. Before opening the store, I consulted a friend who's doing eBay business for 7 years. He confirmed the only way I can sell repeated items (e.g. 100 items of the same type, size etc.) is through store. Is it possible for me to close the store and move the existing listings out without ending these (I don't want to lose the sales record that appears with each listing). 

By the way, my idea was for the store was to launch it as a proper business and list dozens (if not hundreds) of items. I am a bit reluctant now unless I sort out this listing optimization issue. Can you please suggest some ways that could bring the listing up the ranking (especially changes in the title through a software)? 

Thanks. 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Listing optimization

Hi,

Having free postage can bring items up in ranks so I would probably keep that and work the postage into the cost of items.

Changing the price can be beneficial and many have found even an increase in price can increase sales.

Then as suggested use markdown manager for weekend specials, 10% off for 3 days or similar.

Yes I think you are right that having listings with quantities requires a store. (I don't have one)

And in that case you would lose the history.

But if you are covering the 19.99 each month with a reasonable profit on sales then probably better to keep the store.

Keep in mind eBay sales have been down this year from what many are saying so it's just not you. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Listing optimization

Thanks for the reply. I will try all the useful suggestions made by you and other members. 

Thanks everyone. 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply