May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

eBay will be introducing a new fee structure on May 1, 2013.

For some sellers fees will be going up, while others will see notable reductions.  We encourage you to take the time to visit the newly launched Seller Centre to see how the changes will affect you (http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/fs5).

You will notice that to offset the fee change, we have worked to remove the major barriers to listing and have continued to reduce upfront fees to make selling on eBay easier and fairer. Most sellers should only be paying fees on an item after it sells – not before.

Your fees contribute to eBay’s ability to significantly invest in the overall experience for both sellers and buyers.  Enhancements on the buyer side of the equation are aimed squarely at driving traffic to your listings and ensuring the 7.3 million Australians who visit the site every month continue to do so. For example, investments in marketing, social media promotions and mobile commerce applications helped sellers to capture a greater share of online sales in 2012 and saw a 21% year on year increase of visits to eBay.

After reviewing the changes it should be clear that the new fee structure also encourages sellers to adopt the behaviours that we know buyers increasingly prefer (eg: fixed price over auction in some categories) – therefore increasing your chances of a successful sale.

In 2013 we will be working even harder to respond to the rapid pace of change in our industry and to ensure you are taken along on the journey. You will see a number of innovations announced in the coming months and throughout the year which support all of our sellers, no matter what their size or business aspirations.”

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 303
Latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

The difference between eBay and any traditional auction house is that the traditional auction house actually does some work to earn its commission whereas eBafia does nothing, except to manipulate and defraud both buyers and sellers; eBay's calculated  facilitation of fraud is demonstrable ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

Oh no, not another "reduction" in eBay fees ... http://bit.ly/YvxFEg

Message 221 of 303
Latest reply

I was actually thinking of coming across here from q.. , due to their incompetent technical staff the site has so many issues it's impossible to sell anything and they are even asking members what is wrong with the site , but deleting most of the responses as it now show how bad the situation is ,

so funny things aside I guess I either bite the bullet and start listing here again or just give all my stuff to charity and be done with it.

I feel for those trying to make a living from online selling , ebay and AP are trying to kill off online selling and aiming for an area in the market that will eventually collapse as well . People soon tire of buying cheap junk from China or selllers that drop ship and websites that sell their new stuff on ebay as well as their own sites etc.

My whine for the day

Message 222 of 303
Latest reply

I am a regular seller under the auction forma, listing perhaps 200 items per month. At present I pay 50c. per item, which is $100 per month.  I'm not too bothered about the 20% increase in FVF, but I am very bothered about the $1.50 which starts on the 41st item.  the 20% increase aside, on 200 items I will be paying $240 per month, an increase of almost 300%.

It prompted me to look at Ebay.com - until recently (in line with the 50c. which Australian sellers pay), an equivalent seller in the US was paying 10c!!!!!!!!!  i.e. we are/were paying 5 times what sellers on Ebay.com pay.

Their  fees are also going up, in fact I think they have gone up.  They now get 50 free listings (we will get 40), but their insertion fees have gone up from 10c. to 30c. per item on the 51st listing.  

You do the sums - US sellers pay 30c. per listing on the 51st listing, we are paying $1.50 per listing on the 41st listing!!!   

Message 223 of 303
Latest reply

-----------  -----------

It prompted me to look at Ebay.com - until recently (in line with the 50c. which Australian sellers pay), an equivalent seller in the US was paying 10c!!!!!!!!!  i.e. we are/were paying 5 times what sellers on Ebay.com pay.

Their  fees are also going up, in fact I think they have gone up.  They now get 50 free listings (we will get 40), but their insertion fees have gone up from 10c. to 30c. per item on the 51st listing.  

You do the sums - US sellers pay 30c. per listing on the 51st listing, we are paying $1.50 per listing on the 41st listing!!!   

you for got the bit in the sums about they pay FVF on THE TOTAL INVOICE price, i.e. item plus postage, oh and of course they have to sell under ebay.usa buyer protection, not paypal protection !!!!

be careful what you wish for ....

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 224 of 303
Latest reply

if you are a ''crafter'' and have only just found that site, my guess is the majority of ''crafters'' out there have no idea it exists, hence sales will be minimal, just amongst other sellers but in general traffic will be low, and sales close to non existant,

not thanks, I'll stick with a high traffic site.

Message 225 of 303
Latest reply

I only listed on it 1 1/2 weeks ago - Have had 3 sales already Over 80 shop visits and over 229 listing views - it shows the stats on your shop page. so must be known + the added benefit of not having to charge the earth to cover fees - so far so good ... but doesn't hurt to put a few eggs in each basket was stating that their are other places  ... It wasn't till this last change coming that I started to really look for an alternative - was told about it on Facebook site. What money we can keep in our own pocket has to be a + each to their own was just sharing another source for crafters as something to look at.

Message 226 of 303
Latest reply

We run a store without around 417 Listings on eBay. We have been around for quite some time. I have recently been in touch with our eBay Acc Manager in relation to the new changes and they believe we will save quite a substantial amount if we upgrade from a basic store to an anchored store.

While i feel sympathetic to the smaller sellers and I think it is completely wrong what eBay are doing I was wondering if anyone has actually run the figures for the larger power sellers to work out whether this will infact be saving us money.

The main drawcards I can currently see is no more listing fee costs on buy it now items which all of ours are. Ebay take a lower percentage of the final value sale. Also no more ongoing costs, every 30 days 417 of our items tick for another month for 20c each even on buy it now with the basic store.

Can any of the other powersellers please elaberate on this and tell me what kind of store you use?

I have requested more information from eBay however im not sure how long it will take them to respond.

I look forward to any feedback people have on this matter

Kind Regards

Message 227 of 303
Latest reply

magneticworld,  just as we all get used to the April Postal Increases, and the May eBay Fee changes...  eBay throw a NEW SPANNER in the works.

to atain what is virtually now TRS  you'll need to INCLUDE postage in your prices , (higher fvf for ebay), AND offer 0-1day delivery, AND offer an un-safe express postage option too

Message 228 of 303
Latest reply

If you process express post via click and send it is no longer an "unsafe" post method.

Message 229 of 303
Latest reply

Hi Marian, the only reason I was made a Power Seller was to ensure I couldn't access the 30 free listings a month...Sales have fallen slowly over the past few months, not sure yet what I will do, I love the auction ability on Ebay..shame they are shooting themselves in the foot....it's definitely becoming an Asian Mall like most of the physical markets around here too...and we are paying for the 'free shipping' from Asia as well with the constantly higher prices being charged by Australia Post...these changes will definitely make it more difficult to sell on the net anywhere

Message 230 of 303
Latest reply