May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

eBay will be introducing a new fee structure on May 1, 2013.

For some sellers fees will be going up, while others will see notable reductions.  We encourage you to take the time to visit the newly launched Seller Centre to see how the changes will affect you (http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/fs5).

You will notice that to offset the fee change, we have worked to remove the major barriers to listing and have continued to reduce upfront fees to make selling on eBay easier and fairer. Most sellers should only be paying fees on an item after it sells – not before.

Your fees contribute to eBay’s ability to significantly invest in the overall experience for both sellers and buyers.  Enhancements on the buyer side of the equation are aimed squarely at driving traffic to your listings and ensuring the 7.3 million Australians who visit the site every month continue to do so. For example, investments in marketing, social media promotions and mobile commerce applications helped sellers to capture a greater share of online sales in 2012 and saw a 21% year on year increase of visits to eBay.

After reviewing the changes it should be clear that the new fee structure also encourages sellers to adopt the behaviours that we know buyers increasingly prefer (eg: fixed price over auction in some categories) – therefore increasing your chances of a successful sale.

In 2013 we will be working even harder to respond to the rapid pace of change in our industry and to ensure you are taken along on the journey. You will see a number of innovations announced in the coming months and throughout the year which support all of our sellers, no matter what their size or business aspirations.”

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 303
Latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

Hi I wouldn't downgrade, eBay has done that for you, 250% increase in listing fees, increased their commission by 30%.

eBay has already downgraded your store from profitable to an eBay charity.

My current listings finish this month & so do I & I usually list 80-100 items, so now I give away my items to feed the corporate greed of eBay 

Message 261 of 303
Latest reply

Good on you, do you actually believe your own spin ? What a pack of lies, this BS you wrote her reeks of Gillardism,  you tell me how it improves my profitability when my listing costs go up by 250% & selling fee increases by 30% & then you collect the Paypal fee as well.

Corporate greed at it's best,

My listings finish this month & so does my store, there are alternate sites & they will grow & you have provided the catalyst for their rapid expansion, you have shot yourself in the foot now bring the gun a bit higher & put a bullet through your head. 

Message 262 of 303
Latest reply

Good on you, do you actually believe your own spin ? What a pack of lies, this BS you wrote her reeks of Gillardism,  you tell me how it improves my profitability when my listing costs go up by 250% & selling fee increases by 30% & then you collect the Paypal fee as well.

Corporate greed at it's best,

My listings finish this month & so does my store, there are alternate sites & they will grow & you have provided the catalyst for their rapid expansion, you have shot yourself in the foot now bring the gun a bit higher & put a bullet through your head. 

No one forced you to have a store. You can save alot of money by listing as a casual seller. It may be more work but can have absolutely zero insertion fees... ever... and no $50 a month fees. Seems you just don't want to do the work.

Reported for a very rude comment. Good to see you gone from eBay.

Message 263 of 303
Latest reply

This increase in fees affects most sellers on eBay and is a total RIP OFF. eBay is giving an extra 10 free listings but then countering that by increasing insertion fees and final value fees. I sell approximately 120 items a month in the women's clothing category and my insertion fees have jumped from 50 each to $1.50. that's ridiculous!  To top it off I want to know why sellers on the US site - ebay.com- they get 50 free listings and are only charged 30c insertion
fee - for clothing. What a rort!

Message 264 of 303
Latest reply

I was actually giving outdated information above. These are the new Store packages and they all have free insertion fees:

• Basic Store Package ($19.95 a month) - 80 FREE Fixed Price listings a month

• Featured Store Package ($49.95 a month) - 200 FREE Fixed Price listings a month

• Anchor Store Package ($499.95 a month) - UNLIMITED FREE Fixed Price listings

Message 265 of 303
Latest reply

Could someone please explain to me why, as a casual seller in Australia, I do not have the Fixed Price option that is available in the US? To protect my product from the very poor economy and low price expectations of current eBay buyers, I've always used the Buy It Now option with good success. eBay have now introduced changes that force me to set my BIN price at least 30% above my start price. This is quite outrageous and is only a lose lose situation for sellers. If I set my start price at a safe level for me, then the BIN price would be way outside of realistic price expectations. If I do it the other way around ie set my BIN price at a safe level, then I have to set my start price 30% below this, which means that if someone places a bid on the way too low price, the BIN option expires and the bidding may go no higher. How can an Australian seller possibly protect their product with this policy? Why do we not have the Fixed Price only option that is available elsewhere? eBay is surely hammering the final nail in the coffin of this very sick and sad selling venue. Maybe they will realize this when items don't sell and they get no commissions, because we sellersaren't entirely stupid and will not risk our product by being 'forced' to Auction our products with a way too low start price in a very unfriendly market. Everyone knows that auctions are useless in a poor economy - the same applies in the Real Estate market. Wake up eBay, you can not force the market to return to it's heyday of a few years ago when the economy was booming and people were willing to spend. You are sacrificing all of your grass roots small sellers in this desperate bid to turn around your fortunes and you are only going to make it worse in my opinion!

Message 266 of 303
Latest reply

Why do we not have the Fixed Price only option that is available elsewhere?

ebay australia has always had a fixed price only option

just choose the  FIXED PRICE tab under the  Choose How You Would Like to Sell your Item banner

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 267 of 303
Latest reply

I have neither the Fixed Price nor the How You Want To Sell Your Item option on my listings page. Perhaps this is only available if you have a store and not for casual sellers. I partially did a listing on US eBay to check if the option was available to casual sellers there and it was, but not in Australia - certainly not on my listings page???

Message 268 of 303
Latest reply

Hooray!  The system is finally working. I closed my listings, edited them and lo and behold, the Fixed Price option was suddenly there (I had only listed them yesterday). Perhaps eBay had a glitch in the system while the system was settling in to the new changes! That's a relief!

Message 269 of 303
Latest reply

janice, as I replied on another thread where you had the same question

AVOID ebay australia on Fridays between noon and 6pm, its maintenance time and always glitchy for some of the time during that period.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 270 of 303
Latest reply