My First Chargeback

etb321
Community Member

Hello all, 

After ten or so years selling I've got my first chargeback dispute.  I only sell low value items on Ebay so it's not an 'end of life as I know it' situation (about $100) but I have a question.

Sequence of events

Buyer pays

I send and issue a small refund as postage was less then expected

Buyer receives item

Buyer leaves positive feedback

Buyer opens chargeback dispute

The cost of the item and the small refund appear on the customers credit card, what's missing and the strength of the customers claim is the item doesn't appear in his Ebay purchase history.  So that's my question. How can you buy an Ebay item, pay for it with your credit card, have it sent to the correct address and not have it appear in your Ebay list of purchases

Tom(etb321)

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

My First Chargeback

Possibly they bought as a "guest" .

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

My First Chargeback

If you sent the item tracked, you should have seller protection.

The buyer should check their emails. I agree with padi - it’s probably a “guest purchase” situation. eBay has enabled signing in by using social media accounts or google accounts, and it seems quite confusing as people don’t seem to realise that they’re not logging in to the email-linked account with which they originally signed up.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

My First Chargeback

What is the reason for the chargeback? Item not received? Item not as described? Unauthorised transaction?

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

My First Chargeback

I believe 'unauthorized transaction'. There's no entry in his Ebay purchases to prove he brought the item so he's asked for the credit charges to be reversed.  

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

My First Chargeback

I have a question…

Why would the buyer leave positive feedback for an item they ‘didn’t buy’? 

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

My First Chargeback

@kermit2023 wrote:

I have a question…

Why would the buyer leave positive feedback for an item they ‘didn’t buy’? 

Only the buyer can answer that.

Keep in mind that many a feedback has been left in error.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

My First Chargeback

@etb321 wrote:

The cost of the item and the small refund appear on the customers credit card, what's missing and the strength of the customers claim is the item doesn't appear in his Ebay purchase history.  So that's my question. How can you buy an Ebay item, pay for it with your credit card, have it sent to the correct address and not have it appear in your Ebay list of purchases

Tom(etb321)

clarification,   you say it appears on the credit card account, but you don't actually say if they received the item?

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

My First Chargeback

etb321 said the buyer received the item but hasn't clarified if it was sent with tracking. I am guessing it would/should have been as the item was around the $100 mark.

The thing that puzzles me is that the buyer gave positive feedback. If the feedback given was under the buyer's user name, how could it not show in their ebay purchases? I don't know how the signing in as a guest works but would have thought a guest would be given a different user name.

I don't know enough about this sort of thing to solve the problem but it does seem strange that someone would give positive feedback & then do a chargeback.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

My First Chargeback

@springyzone wrote:

etb321 said the buyer received the item but hasn't clarified if it was sent with tracking. I am guessing it would/should have been as the item was around the $100 mark.

I asked the question incorrectly.

Did the person who's account the charges appeared on receive the item.  Or was it another buyer using that persons credit card.   It has being known to happen.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply