My account has been restricted for selling Hypwave Clothing with no explanation from eBay.

Does anybody know what's wrong with this brand? I don't even sell it myself - another family member was selling it.

eBay chat line won't restore my account - what should I do?

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

My account has been restricted for selling Hypwave Clothing with no explanation from eBay.

Ok guys Saturday night here - nothing to do but think about how my eBay career fell off a cliff...

I keep getting messages on my phone "Good Til cancelled listings not renewed - which is upsetting to say the least.

When I think about all the time I spent listing them really does my head in. All those listing apts that are around

would of helped me cross post quickly.

Just to paraphrase the reason again for restriction (as not allowed to copy and paste as it's a violation)

The restriction on the account is indefinite - as there are concerns on the items listed and the overall selling behaviour.

Due to the commonalities of information eBay must prevent circumvention on the decision. 

I have a different email and PayPal address for every account, the only common thing is same surname and address.

Can't eBayers cohabit???

Message 41 of 59
Latest reply

@ephemera123 wrote:

[...]

Can't eBayers cohabit???

No. eBayers must be monastic and austere in their habits.

g_chortle.gif

Now, being serious... Unfortunately (to the best of my knowledge) eBay will ban an entire household's eBay accounts if one account on the ISP is banned. The different email and PayPal address will not be of any protection.

If you try to create new accounts to circumvent the ban, and eBay detect this, they will come down like the wrath of God upon you.

I don't know of anyone who's managed to have a ban of this sort overturned, but it would probably involve a lot of heavy-duty ultra-polite ultra-pleading and promises to never again indulge in the behaviour which precipitated the ban - via phone calls to eBay CS. This is impossible to do at present as the COVID-19 restrictions have closed eBay's phone support department, and only eBay chat is available.

It would be inadvisable for me to suggest any other remedies for the situation.

Message 42 of 59
Latest reply

Many years ago, this popular video game (Fallout) came out which my son was really into. I make cushion covers for a living and he asked me to make him something so I made a "tribute" cover which actually looked really good. I then thought I would make another and offer it for sale on Ebay. After a day or so, Ebay took it down for trademark infringement as advised by the game owners/rights holders and told me never to do it again or I would lose my selling privileges. It didn't even occur to me that I was infringing as I made the design out of spare fabrics I had lying around, so I was really fortunate to only get a warning at the time.

At the end of the day, your son must have done something really serious that raised numerous red flags for Ebay as I don't think they would take this step lightly. The fact that he's tried to sell clothing with a butchered trademark name is probably the root cause. You say he came up with the name by himself, but obviously he didn't. The whole thing probably sounded like a counterfeit operation and believe me, as I discovered, there are companies that trawl these large sites and raise concerns that their trademarks are being infringed upon. The fact that he sold many items of clothing over a period time was a far more serious event that my stupid attempt with one item.

The fact that all your accounts are restricted is probably because they don't want the offending listings simply moved over to another account in that household and continue to be sold.

Message 43 of 59
Latest reply

@ephemera123 wrote:

Ok guys Saturday night here - nothing to do but think about how my eBay career fell off a cliff...

I keep getting messages on my phone "Good Til cancelled listings not renewed - which is upsetting to say the least.

When I think about all the time I spent listing them really does my head in. All those listing apts that are around

would of helped me cross post quickly.

Just to paraphrase the reason again for restriction (as not allowed to copy and paste as it's a violation)

The restriction on the account is indefinite - as there are concerns on the items listed and the overall selling behaviour.

Due to the commonalities of information eBay must prevent circumvention on the decision. 

I have a different email and PayPal address for every account, the only common thing is same surname and address.

Can't eBayers cohabit???

Yes, until one stuffs up. Unfortunately, it's unlikely eBay will reinstate the accounts. When they say life without parole, the chance of parole is zero. Of course you can keep trying to appeal, but be prepared for bad news in the end.

There are ways you can sell again, but I'm not going to make those ways publicly known, because that would be a policy violation in itself. I'm not about to risk my accounts.

Message 44 of 59
Latest reply

That's very interestng..one of your listings is still infringing on one my registered trade marks Retro Girl. Don't worry i'm going to overlook it due to the fact your helping me with another problem 🙂

Message 45 of 59
Latest reply

How is Jellybird infringing on your coyright?

You have an ebay store called Retro Girl that sells second hand jewellery.

Jellybird is selling ONE sticker......who is going to get confused with items so different.

Have you done an ebay search for Retro Girl stickers?   There are nearly 1000 listed.

Message 46 of 59
Latest reply

"Retro girl" in this case refers to the common vintage images of attractive 50's women which are quite prevalent in pop culture.

On another site I sell on, at least 7 shops have the name RetroGirl in them in one form or another.

Apprently there was even a superhero named "Retro Girl", so I'm sure that character name was trademarked some time ago.

Gonna take this as tongue-in-cheek from the OP.

Message 47 of 59
Latest reply

Did you end your listings or has eBay taken them all down on both accounts ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 48 of 59
Latest reply

No - he wasn't using my account.

We didn't sell the same items.

Message 49 of 59
Latest reply

Hi,

I ended my listings myself because I didn't keep an eye on them - they all relisted & got a very a bill as a result.

Message 50 of 59
Latest reply