Negative Feedback without any contact from buyer

I recently sold 2 biscuit barrels to one Buyer. I always pack very securely, as many Buyers have mentioned in my Feedback, but apparently one biscuit barrel was broken on arrival? The Buyer made no contact whatsoever, and after 2 weeks, I foolishly left Positive Feedback. After which time, the Buyer promptly left Negative Feedback, saying simply "arrived broken". I have sent several e-mails, even offering to refund if she provides a photo of the broken biscuit barrel (How do I know the item wasn't broken on opening of the parcel?). I have heard nothing from the Buyer! Why are Buyers allowed to leave Negative Feedback without even making an attempt to resolve the issue. I have been buying and selling on e-bay for almost 8 years now, and never received Negative Feedback. This has ruined my percentage, and through no fault of my own.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@decodetails wrote:

Why are Buyers allowed to leave Negative Feedback without even making an attempt to resolve the issue. 

I can't answer that, but I wish they couldn't...or at least wouldn't.  

I suspect it wouldn't qualify for removal under any of eBay's feedback policies, so if the buyer is unresponsive to your attempts to resolve (which presumably also means sending a request to revise the feedback won't help), the only thing you can really do is respond to the feedback - keep it simple, truthful, calm (no capitals etc) and professional, as what you write is a reflection on you as a seller and the response isn't really for the buyer, it's for everyone else who will read your FB profile, including prospective buyers. 

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Yeah, just post a reply to the fb you received....something like 'sorry to hear it was broken, I am here to help, please get in touch" then when potential future buyers take a quick look at you neg, they will see that you have replied in a caring helpful manner. This will give folk confidence to buy from you.....don't let it drag you down, sometimes it just happens.... 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

It is unfair that this will be there for 12 months. You could try asking eBay for advice, as there is proof that you have received no communication form the buyer and, therefore, haven't had the opportunity to resolve the problem.

I usually wait a month before leaving feedback, as some of my buyers are too lazy to collect their personaliased items from the PO. I won't end up leaving feedback at all if an item is almost returned to me after polite reminders have been sent. AusPost issues reminder cards too. I don't need those buyers, and they end up on my block list too.

If removal isn't possible, maybe leave a very factual reply to the feedback:

Item delivered xx/03, 1st contact from you is this fback, pls check your eBay inbox

But don't do this until to have exhausted all avenues first.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

deco, that has nothing to do with the OPs question. OP and just how do you know it wasn't broken in the post or are you just assuming the buyer is trrying rip you off? inadequate packaging is the biggest culprit here. while not fair not contacting you first, what would you really do to fix the problem? a complete refund without wanting the broken item back? or demand the broken item be returned (at the buyers cost) for you to then examine and find its broken.

even at the first option still doesnt fix the fact the original item arrived broken does it?

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@bsal6160 wrote:

deco, that has nothing to do with the OPs question. OP and just how do you know it wasn't broken in the post or are you just assuming the buyer is trrying rip you off? inadequate packaging is the biggest culprit here. while not fair not contacting you first, what would you really do to fix the problem? a complete refund without wanting the broken item back? or demand the broken item be returned (at the buyers cost) for you to then examine and find its broken.

even at the first option still doesnt fix the fact the original item arrived broken does it?

Gosh did you even read the OPs post bsal ?

OP all I can say is there are buyers that just jump the gun on leaving feedback without contacting sellers in a situation like this.

Doubt whether eBay will remove it Cat Sad, but IMO its always worth a red hot shot to get rid of a negative.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply