No Returns Policy

Sorry guys but I feel a little confused about having a No Returns Policy.  Can someone please explain how you can have this when EBay appear to just do as they please.  Have read a few threads but they so seem confusing especially when they are in answer to another persons complaint of having to refund.  Just want to know the basics.  Hope this doesn't sound duh!.

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

No Returns Policy

The way I understand it is that your returns policy is about buyer remorse and its optional if/not you accept returns under these conditions.

This is where they buyer decides they want to return the item due to wrong, size, colour or simply dont like it.

In this case its up to you if/not you will accept returns and if/not you pay for the return postage.

All this should be detailed in your listing returns policy.

That is as opposed to something being wrong with the item like not as decsribed or dead on arrival etc. In these cases ebay will enforce their returns policy and in this case if you want your item back the seller must pay for the return postage costs or simply refund without item return.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

No Returns Policy

Thanks Clarry, that does make things clear for me.  I get around a fair bit in a day's work and I am shamed to hear, especially from a certain age group, not the young by the way, that all you have  to do is to say to eBay Not as Described and they get their money back even if they have worn the item etc.  don't know if they really do it but It is not nice at all.  Some sellers must be hitting their heads against a brick wall dealing with these issues.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

No Returns Policy

Yes, some buyers will buy something like a dress to wear to an event, then afterwards when they have no further use for it, they try to claim not as described so they can get their money back. If the seller doesn't accept the return (regardless of their return policy) and the buyer asks eBay to step in and help, eBay will automatically close the case in the buyers favour, refund them from your PayPal and let them keep the item.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

No Returns Policy

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Yes, some buyers will buy something like a dress to wear to an event, then afterwards when they have no further use for it, they try to claim not as described so they can get their money back. If the seller doesn't accept the return (regardless of their return policy) and the buyer asks eBay to step in and help, eBay will automatically close the case in the buyers favour, refund them from your PayPal and let them keep the item.

also the seller will get a defect

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

No Returns Policy

If you have a no returns policy, the buyer is still able to send a request to return an item by selecting one of the change of mind reasons, but the seller has the option to deny the request. 

If you accept returns, you're obliged to accept them for any (change of mind) reason, as long as the buyer meets the conditions you've set out (eg time limits, condition requirements etc).

eBay's system is definitely skewed in favour of the buyer, though, particularly when it comes to false claims for not as described. (Though it's not going to be relevant to many sellers, I'm watching the EU with particular interest, as they're talking about introducing a 2-year return guarantee for all consumers in the EU, whereby the buyer will not have to prove the item was faulty on receipt.... Smiley Surprised Gawd knows what they're thinking, but at least eBay's timeframe is more reasonable - there are not many instances these days where you can say eBay is 'more reasonable' Smiley LOL).  

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

No Returns Policy

As I understand from this this board, the buyer just goes thru eBay for not as described and they automatically get their money back with postage even if the seller rejects their request.  Sellers loss every time, is this right?

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

No Returns Policy

@bottomoftheharbour wrote:

As I understand from this this board, the buyer just goes thru eBay for not as described and they automatically get their money back with postage even if the seller rejects their request.  Sellers loss every time, is this right?

Technically, you're not able to reject a not as described request. You can contest it, but it's risky unless your evidence is watertight, due to there being such a low threshold for 'cases closed without seller resolution' before eBay might start restricting your account (2 cases, or 0.3% in any evaluation period). 

It's true that some buyers will abuse the system, so these days I advise anyone wanting to sell here to be aware of (and prepared for) that possibility (at the moment I still call it a possibility, so it has not yet graduated to a probability 😉 ), and thankfully, there are still honest buyers out there who accept that their reasons for wishing to return an item are 'change of mind' and use the request system correctly. 

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

No Returns Policy

A positive reply.  There are some who may disagree, but every case is individual and I'm advertising for honest buyers only. Ha. Must block everyone who speaks of the No Returns Policy, yea right.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

No Returns Policy

I sell books and I am not a library so I have a no returns policy and it works.

Once a book slipped through with some pages not present, he sent photos and I refunded him, that buyer went on to place a large order with me and gave positive feedback as a result.  So it works for me.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply