Out of stock images on listings

I've noticed a number of listings recently that show up in searches with an image that says Out of Stock, but the listing shows stock for sale.

Is this allowed?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

They want to keep their place in the searches by not ending the listings ahnd will add the amount when new stock arrives.

Probably not allowed but a lot of sellers do this.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

It's a policy breach and I got pulled up on it last year...although it doesn't appear to be policed much by eBay so unless you are reported I think its unlikely it will be taken down and unless the buyer is stupid ( OK so this is eBay!) then they must realise it's out of stock. It would be a good idea to put something in the listing as well though.  I think it's a stupid policy as if an item is out of stock on my website it simply pull the inventory and it states out of stock. A similar feature on eBay would be handy but will never happen.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@character_parties_aus wrote:

if an item is out of stock on my website it simply pull the inventory and it states out of stock. A similar feature on eBay would be handy but will never happen.

It actually did happen. Smiley Surprised

There's now an out of stock feature (accessible in Account > Site Preferences), which when applied means a listing isn't ended when the stock reaches (or is revised) to 0. The listing retains all sales history, and will remain listed unless three months pass without being restocked. Sometimes the item will still show in search results (it's not meant to) but it can't be purchased. 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks that is useful!

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply