PO asks for buyers phone numbers

I was at the PO this morning and the owner asked me if I wanted to include a buyers phone number when I sent a parcel. He would enter it into the system and the buyer would then get the tracking updates to their phone.

I don't feel right doing this as I know that I would get annoyed with SMS's all the time if I bought a lot of stuff online. Plus, who can say if the buyers phone number is even correct! Many buyers set up their accounts long ago and have changed phone numbers, surnames (never mind addresses) etc, over the years and don't always keep everything updated.

Probably overreacting, but almost feel like I'm inviting a neg if I go down to the PO with a buyers phone number in hand. If the PO has these phone numbers, they can possibly be used for third party advertising or spamming the buyer etc. I would be seriously upset if my phone number was handed over to the PO and I got all sort of random messages as a result.

Does anyone hand over their buyers phone number to the PO or do you steer clear of it?

Obviously I'm not talking about couriers who may need a phone number on the label.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

It will be added automatically if you use ebay labels, plus the email address. I don't put either on the labels when I create them through my post though, not for ebay orders anyway, as while it allows for automatic updates, it also allows redirection which doesn't show on tracking (last I checked).

If a buyer includes it with an order elsewhere, I'll add it in though (providing it is optional on my other sites).

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Yes, you are over reacting. Both eBay, eParcel and MyPost labels generated from eBay purchase are handed along and print on the label automatically.

SMS notifucation of pending delivery is probably a good thing to minimise lost deliveries. The buyer can opt out of Australia Post SMS if they don't want them.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

@offroad7400 wrote:
Yes, you are over reacting. Both eBay, eParcel and MyPost labels generated from eBay purchase are handed along and print on the label automatically.

SMS notifucation of pending delivery is probably a good thing to minimise lost deliveries. The buyer can opt out of Australia Post SMS if they don't want them.

I agree with you on the utility of the number being recorded against a delivery, but while it's only a small thing to opt out of unwanted SMS messages, I'm against the idea of being opted-in by the seller to begin with. 

I presume somewhere in eBay's T&Cs there must a disclaimer that providing eBay with your phone number you grant them permission to provide to it third parties (e.g. sellers and Australia Post) for this kind of purpose, otherwise there would surely be some privacy laws being breached.

I have a second mobile number set up precisely for this kind of use and to save giving out my main one, so ultimately I'm not really affected, but I can see why some might be reluctant to hand over such a detail to AP.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I should clarify that I don't pay for shipping labels on Ebay.

I hand write the buyer addresses, so I would never put the buyers phone number on the parcel in the first place.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I mostly just mentioned the contact info is automatically added to ebay labels (and can't be removed) as a way of saying it's actually something that's really common, and many online suppliers will include it as a courtesy, so you'll probably find most buyers aren't going to take issue with it (I even get messages from buyers wondering why they aren't getting notifications). It's what allowed me to immediately know there was a delivery problem with a package (i.e. I got the "package delivered" update, but the package was nowhere to be seen on the property), which in turn meant I could contact AP immediately and get it sorted. A buyer can elect to do this manually, though.

All of my Chinese suppliers have and use mine (even for Aus Post packages) and I get almost no spam calls or emails - in fact I got more spam directly from a couple of Aussie sellers after buying from them than in years of having my number in the hands of Aus Post / Chinese suppliers. 

If there was an official eBay policy surrounding redirected packages, and Aus Post actually included redirection requests in the tracking, I'd be happy to include at least the email address on the package (in My Post you can include contact info so that certain options become available, but you have to tick a box to opt the buyer into notifications). 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

In your case the phone number will only be useful if the last mile carrier cannot locate or enter a property for delivery, or in the event the package lands on the wrong doorstep and an honest person may notify the correct addressee.

I think a phone number is better, erring on the side of a successful delivery than a privacy issue seeing as an address is already on the package.

Automating label printing and having SMS notifications is a plus for my customers along with email notification from Australia Post. Never had one single customer complain of privacy invasion. They just want their goods as timely as possible.
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@south.coffee wrote:
In your case the phone number will only be useful if the last mile carrier cannot locate or enter a property for delivery, or in the event the package lands on the wrong doorstep and an honest person may notify the correct addressee.

Aus Post can actually enter a phone number into their system at lodgement, so it won't appear on the package but the buyer will get notifications and be able to access all My Post tracking options. (I only found this out when I had a staff member ask me if I wanted to add a phone number while lodging packages with labels done through My Post, which obviously didn't have any - then I was practically interrogated when I said 'no' Smiley LOL ). 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@digi - yes, this is what happened and I also felt a bit interrogated! When I told the PO owner that I didn't want to do it, he wanted to know my reasons and then tried to dispute them. He struggled to take "no" as an answer.

Now that I think about it, I kinda remember the PO owner mentioning a while back that they get a few cents in commission from Aus Post if they are able to get the buyers number and email addresses into the system and that's why some of them push for it.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

@digi - yes, this is what happened and I also felt a bit interrogated! When I told the PO owner that I didn't want to do it, he wanted to know my reasons and then tried to dispute them. He struggled to take "no" as an answer.

Now that I think about it, I kinda remember the PO owner mentioning a while back that they get a few cents in commission from Aus Post if they are able to get the buyers number and email addresses into the system and that's why some of them push for it.

That sounds about right - when I've heard them ask it's come across as a scripted question they've been compelled to ask as part of accepting a parcel, not simply a "hey, maybe this would be useful" offer of help.

Spoiler
To expediate the parcel lodgment process, print the following onto a business card sized piece of paper and with an expression of wide-eyed alarm, pass it to the next staff member who interrogates for a contact number:

I cannot comply with your request as
THEY are listening! Beware the 5G!
Tell NO ONE!

Eat the note after they've read it.  No staff member will bother you again.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply