Payment pending policy makes it very difficult to sell high ticket items.

I find it really offensive that eBay are holding on to my customer's payment on the following grounds:

1. I am not a new account.

2. I have sold high ticket items in the past without a glitch.

3. I have a right to receive my funds as soon as I am paid.

4. The customer has already indicated that she was satisfied with the transaction, so why the delay with my funds?

Personally, I think this is a ploy that does not protect buyers, but that uses seller's money for other purposes.

There is absolutely no need for such delays, particularly as my account has a 14K limit. Why give such a limit eBay if I am so untrustworthy? 

Why should I bother filling your coffers with proceeds from MY sales, when you have so little regard for paying me what I am due ON TIME?

I then called eBay today and had to endure a moron, and an obnoxious ass just to be told that it did not matter that my customer had already given positive feedback, I would have to wait.

I'm so DISGUSTED!

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Usually if you haven't sold for more than a year, you have the same restrictions as a new account.

This prevents hijacked accounts or scammers from taking advantage.

If you have online tracking to confirm delivery often the funds can be released earlier otherwise the funds will be on hold for 21 days.

image host
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

We all play by the same rules using eBay and Paypal. So, unfortunately we have to play by their rules or not play at all. The alternative is to go elsewhere. I found it is usually Paypal not eBay that holds funds, maybe you had a different scenario. Unless you need the money in a hurry, I really don't see a problem.  It changes very quickly to money coming through straight away once you sell a few more things.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

It actually takes 90 days of selling and positve feedback once you're a new seller or started selling again before the 21 day hold on funds get released.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

It is PayPal who puts a hold on the funds, not ebay.

It is very frustrating but it will pass once you show regular activities in the account. There is nothing you can do about it, so just be patient and keep selling.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

No it is ebay that tell PayPal to put the hold on,I have contacted PayPal regarding this issue and was told that ebay instruct PayPal to hold the money.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@kookakook wrote:

No it is ebay that tell PayPal to put the hold on,I have contacted PayPal regarding this issue and was told that ebay instruct PayPal to hold the money.

Hm, it seems like everyone can put a hold on the money in that case. I had one direct PayPal-to-PayPal transaction (no ebay involved) which was held. I was the payer in this case and the payee had not had 25 transactions yet. I rang PayPal and told them to release the fund, thinking that since I was the payer I had the authority to do so. PayPal flatly refused.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I called PayPal and they said it is eBay. I called eBay and they said it is PayPal.

As insurance covers all transactions, what they're probably doing with our money is making multi-million dollar trades on the foreign exchange.

Just as eBay have thought of every possible scenario to eliminate their customer contact when we require help, the security of our accounts can easily be verified to ensure they are still legitimate and have not been hijacked.

The way I see it is, if eBay (and PayPal) want to continue making their commission, the least they can do is ensure that existing customers are happy with their outrageously one-sided policies. 

If you are happy with this substandard business model, then the model will never be refined to address these issues.

In relation to needing money in a hurry, imagine if any of us withheld funds from eBay as long as they do! I want my money where I can see it. Either in my bank or as an asset. NOT as a "pending" so that Paypal can earn interest on it whilst I wait!

These multinationals continue to disgust me. It's an ongoing theme and the sooner we wake up to ourselves the better off we will all be!

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Really wow because only transactions with ebay and PayPal get a 21 day hold put on them as there aren't any other selling platforms apart from gumtree perhaps that payments are withheld unless it has to do with chargebacks so not sure what happened in your case?

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

PayPal said the payee was newish and had less than 25 transactions. And yes, it was a 21-day hold. That was a direct PayPal-to-PayPal transaction.

I have also had 1 buyer who has bought from both my ebay and non-ebay stores. Her payments were never held when she bought from my ebay store and were always held for 3 days when she bought from my non-ebay store using the same PayPal account. Try to figure that out!

Other customers in my non-ebay store never had their payments held.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply