Paypal have restricted my account after 10 plus years

Hi All

Hope you are having a better day than I have. Paypal have restricted my account because I wanted to change my Bank Details..I have a business account which has not been used as a business for over 8 years. THe bank account associated with it was closed because it was not used in a certain time frame. I opened a new Bank Account added it to Paypal and waited 1 week for the 2 small amounts to be placed into the account so as I can confirm the account with Paypal. Never arrived...Contacted Paypal and was told they were rejected because the Business Name did not match the Bank Account, was then asked by Paypal to contact my bank and get them to accept this Business Name. I was told by the bank they cannot accept transfers to the account other than what was named. I reported this back to Paypal and asked them to Remove The Business Name and Convert the account  back to Sole Trader. They said they cannot do it unless I send them photo copies of my Drivers Licence and Passport. I refuse to do this because of identity fraud. Now they have restricted my account. I can receive payments in but I cannot buy or transfer money. Advice Needed Please

Paddy

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@1997crows1998 wrote:

They said they cannot do it unless I send them photo copies of my Drivers Licence and Passport. I refuse to do this because of identity fraud. 

The one thing I would really ask about that is, what information is on your driver's license, and / or passport (aside from the photo) that PayPal don't already (presumably) have?

Edited to add: I ask that because most of the details on such documents you have to provide to PayPal as a matter of course, so submitting the documents doesn't tend to give them any new information about you (or to use against you), rather it verfies the personal information you've already given them.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I can certainly understand it from their point of view. An old account suddenly resurrected, the bank account changed and then wanting the name to the account changed.

with Internet fraud and identity theft so common it's no wonder.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

The account has been running non stop from the time it was created. The Bank Account that was connected to it was closed some months ago  maybe 9 months and the bank closed it because it was inactive for a period of time. All I wanted to do was add a new bank account rather than transfering money to another account so as I can  make a withdrawal and this is what happens. They now have money of mine and will not release it. It is in the Hands of FOS now.

Thank You

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Many of us have had to provide Paypal with a copy of our driving licenses and/or passports or other forms of identity. tansactions over a certain amount can trigger this, first time I transferred more than a couple of hundred dollars from My Au Paypal account to a UK account I was asked to provide it. I did so straight away, phoned to confirm they had received it and my account was back and under my control again within a few hours.

I doubt if your complaints to the FOS will be successful as Paypal are required by law to ask for these proofs of identity in certain circumstances.

I don't know what type of identity theft is going to happen sending a photo copy of your documents to Paypal, perhaps you would be interested in a range of tin foil hats I am thinking of listing!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

You cannot have 2 PayPal accounts but seeing as you have a business account,

from memory you can have a business PayPal acc and a private/premier acc.

Might be a good idea to open another in the meantime until all is sorted as it can take some time with PayPal's automated restrictions.

image host
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

"I refuse to do this because of identity fraud."

I was wondering the same as DG... they already have these details. As a financial provider in Australia, they are REQUIRED (by law, the same as any Bank in Australia) to collect your ID to open an account for you to begin with.   In making changes to your account, they are also required to request said ID.  Its mostly due to the anti money laundering and counter terrorism financing act 2006, also google Customer identification programs (CIPS), among several other acts and guidlines.

Paypal is REQUIRED by law to not just request, but keep your ID on file, the same as any financial institution in Australia. That is, request when you open an account, when you change details, when you close an account, and numerous other things inbetween.

You are 10000 times more likely to have your credit / bank card skimmed at an ATM, or details stolen if you use it to BUY online directly (typing your credit card details into an online form on some stores website),  than have Paypal, or any of their employees, using your ID for identity theft.

The FOS is going to tell you exactly the same thing because they are required to follow the exact same laws!

Id be more worried if they DIDNT ask for license / passport.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply