Posting light bulky items with Australia Post

Hi All,

Not sure how many of you guys know this trick....... Many of my items are light and bulky so I get stung with the cubic charge. Recently I had to post a item to TAS, it only weighed 1024 grams but I was charged for 5kg due to its size which was $24.95.

The CSO went out found a tough bag that fitted the item still in the box I packed it. Investing a couple of bucks for the bag the postage dropped to $17.90 depriving AP of $7. What a massive saving considering I only charged $20 for postage and was able to process a small refund.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I always either wrap boxes in a layer of bubble wrap and either thick plastic or paper,  or alternatively use those tuff bags.  they are no longer boxes, they are then parcels.  saves heaps.

The only exception is if the items fit into the flat rate boxes, I use Click & Send, so these are way cheaper if the item is heavy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

Yes, I know about that trick and am glad to hear some Post Offices help their customers in that manner. Mine has. You were lucky too. Apparently Australia Post are now cubing odd-shaped parcels ๐Ÿ˜ž

http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/Helpful-guide-to-cubing-Apr13.pdf

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

All very well if the parcel is not picked up and checked at some point in the delivery process. What will happen if it is will almost certainly cost you a few DSR stars, possibly a neg and/or some money.

If it is picked up then AP will either contact you and ask for the extra postage before they will deliver which will make the parcel very late or they will ask the buyer to pay the extra which means they will be royally peeved or will refuse so the parcel is sent back to you, and you will still have to pay if you want it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 4
Latest reply