Proper Address Format

When is ebay going to introduce a standard address format? I am sick of trying to decipher peoples interpretations of their address (because you need to add the nearest Capital City or council to your address dont you?) most other online shopping places make you start typing the address and you have to select it from a drop down box, eliminating these people who like to get creative with their addresses.

Sellers on ebay have a hard enough job as it is, so why cant this be standardised so we dont have to google the correct city or postcode when we use the ebay label generator.

Arrrrrggghhh!

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Proper Address Format

I hear you.  its more paypal though isn't it, as the seller is instructed by ebay to send to the paypal address (if paid by paypal)

also fun when they don't use a correct name on their address... imagine them collecting from the post office counter!

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Proper Address Format

Since most people pay via PayPal the problem is a PayPal one. The ebay registered address is only used when they pay by some other non-PayPal method.

To select from a dropdown list for each field as you suggest would be great, but requires that PayPal/Ebay pay  Australia Post to link into their verified addresses database.

They are most unlikely to do this I would think.

So I wouldn't hold your breath for any changes any time soon.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Proper Address Format

In the old days we used to always use the capital city in our address.  For example, if you lived in a suburb of Brisbane you would list your address as  34 Main Road, Clayfield, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 4011. This is a ficticious address, just to give an example. Now the Post Office (and others) do not want the Capital City, just the suburb and postcode. So If the buyer has "Brisbane" as in this example. It comes up as an "invalid address" if you try to print a postage label.

I'm not sure what problems you are coming across, but this is the main one I encounter.

In my own life, my landline phone number is "invalid" in many situations, because it is not a mobile, and there seems to be some law I am not aware of that you must own one.  Also my address comes up as "invalid sometimes" because I spell it as the street sign says, and others insist that a Street has to be St and that "Street" makes it an invalid address.

I come from an era that insisted on everything being correct, so I find it hard to cope with all the abbreviations. I really wonder if future generations will even know what a fireman is or a service station is, or will it be forever changed to firies and servos.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Proper Address Format

@shoppingbag* wrote:

In the old days we used to always use the capital city in our address.  For example, if you lived in a suburb of Brisbane you would list your address as  34 Main Road, Clayfield, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 4011. This is a ficticious address, just to give an example. Now the Post Office (and others) do not want the Capital City, just the suburb and postcode. So If the buyer has "Brisbane" as in this example. It comes up as an "invalid address" if you try to print a postage label.

I'm not sure what problems you are coming across, but this is the main one I encounter.

In my own life, my landline phone number is "invalid" in many situations, because it is not a mobile, and there seems to be some law I am not aware of that you must own one.  Also my address comes up as "invalid sometimes" because I spell it as the street sign says, and others insist that a Street has to be St and that "Street" makes it an invalid address.

I come from an era that insisted on everything being correct, so I find it hard to cope with all the abbreviations. I really wonder if future generations will even know what a fireman is or a service station is, or will it be forever changed to firies and servos.

I bet I am older than you, and in my 'olde days' we NEVER used the capital city in our address. As you have given a Queensland example, I'm wondering if this is a QLD thing as almost all of the problem addresses I have with those which include both their suburb/city PLUS the capital are from QLD. 

I tend to agree with you about the mobile numbers. It really irks me if you have to supply a mobile number online, and there is no allowance made for a landline number. I do have a mobile and very very rarely use it - it's for emergencies only - but I do so resent having to include it anywhere. If people try and contact me on it, they are very unlikely to get an answer from me. (The only exception is when you get a text from the bank on your mobile allowing a new Bpay transaction). 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Proper Address Format

The issue is Australia-wide, and is down to eBay labelling the relevant field 'City' instead of "Suburb' or at least 'City/Suburb'.

So people think they need to put the city in, when us in the know realise that AP don't care and want something that aligns with the postcode. Rarely the city, especially if the postcode doesn't end in 000.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Proper Address Format

I don't think it'd matter what the fields are labelled, some people just don't have a clue what the correct format for their address is. I often wonder how some people manage to get through life because I see some really dumb questions (not necessarily here).
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Proper Address Format

The problem with Capital Cities is Australia wide. If anyone puts it in the address becomes "invalid" because the postcode doesn't match the City (because it is a suburb and has a different postcode to the actual Capital)

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Proper Address Format

@gumleaf_goodies wrote

I tend to agree with you about the mobile numbers. It really irks me if you have to supply a mobile number online, and there is no allowance made for a landline number. I do have a mobile and very very rarely use it - it's for emergencies only - but I do so resent having to include it anywhere. If people try and contact me on it, they are very unlikely to get an answer from me.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is my experience also, word for word. I give up sometimes and just put in my mobile number, which they have little chance of ever getting me on, as I only use it a couple of times a year. When I do turn it on I have all these text messages that I have trouble lnavigating the maze to find anything.  Wouldn't know how to send a text if my life depended on it, and don't want to learn. I really have no need to be phone addicted or be in constant contact with everyone I know. I would rather see what is going on around me.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply