Quantity listing charging same flate for any quantity

I had never done a quantity listing till now. I put an item on eBay with a quantity of 6 and flat rate postage of $10. I assumed that meant that if someone bought 2, they'd get charged $10. Then they'd contact me and ask for a postage discount.

But someone bought two and it charged them just $10 postage in total, and they paid immediately. Luckily the package only cost $10 to post, so I didn't lose money, but I don't think it would work out if someone bought 3.

Is this the way it's supposed to work? Or is there something I can change to make it charge postage per item?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@eol-products wrote:

My flat rate would show another box to add an amount for each additional item.

I mostly use calculated for items going as a parcel and set the weight for how many can fit in each parcel before going to the next size up. So for yours I would add 250grams. 

I tried ticking ”I don't know the package details”. It hid the size and weight, but it's still not showing that extra box. Would it be possible for someone to post a sample screenshot of it?

In the meantime, I can adjust the weight to force it to calculate the cost more conservatively.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

I just checked on the app and there is no option I can find to add the extra cost per item. On a PC it displays different and shows more options. You may be best to just change to calculated then check your listing once done to see if it correctly charges the postage when you add extra items to see the postage cost.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

@eol-products wrote:

I just checked on the app and there is no option I can find to add the extra cost per item. On a PC it displays different and shows more options. You may be best to just change to calculated then check your listing once done to see if it correctly charges the postage when you add extra items to see the postage cost.

I get no extra options in a browser on a PC. That screenshot above was in a browser on a tablet.

I 've changed it to calculated, and upped the weight to 250g. Now it jumps to $14.50 for 3 or for 4 items, which sounds about right.

This extra option is a mystery to me, but at least I've learned how to check the rates. I didn't know I could go into "See details" and check the rates for different quantities.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

That screenshot is for calculated postage, not flat rate. With flat rate you get to choose. But it does take a few minutes every time the postage service ups their rates.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply