Recommendations on label printers

toybox-australia
Community Member
I'm looking to buy a wide format label printer to print the ebay Australia Post labels.
I'm considering the dymo 4XL does anyone have any experience with dymo or have other recommendations?
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

If you are planning to print labels generated using eBay Australia Post postage option be aware they are formatted in PDF A4 size only.  There is no option to change the paper size to fit a standard 4x6 / 100mm x 150mm shipping label.

Some sellers are using their browser to resize the label to 90% to print, but the alignment can be dodgy and changing the size of the barcode and QR code can render the exercise pointless as they sometimes cannot be scanned.  Plus it is time consuming if you have several labels to print.

We discovered the exact problem using one of the 'Best Seller' label printers on the market.  Having taken eBay and Australia Post to task on this ridiculous oversight, nothing has still been done in 2 years to date.  eBay said it is Australia Post's issue and their hands are tied.  Australia Post want you to use their eParcel or MyPost platforms which does not offer discount postage like eBay.

We eventually found a great little thermal printer with a powerful driver which solved many problems.  Qirui QR-588 called a Rollo Printer in the USA, spits out labels fast and with minimal effort.  Label printing can be a 'black art' and does take a little tim to set up.  Label quality also has a bit to play as some poor quality labels will fade in days and by the time they have reached their destination, the address details and barcodes can be barely readable just like thermal shopping receipts.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

@south.coffee wrote:

Australia Post want you to use their eParcel or MyPost platforms which does not offer discount postage like eBay.

My Post Business provides from 0% up to 30% discount, depending on volume and destination of individual parcels.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Personally I just print using a normal A4 laser printer onto label pages that are 2 per page. I bought them here:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361841455414

Obviously I re-use the page to print on the other end. At first it annoyed me that they were much larger than the label, but then I started folding the extra over the edge of BX1 boxes to seal them and dont use any tape on them.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I personally don't use B1 boxes any more. They are now more expensive than 1kg satchels, and satchels weigh 130g less.

As far as eBay labels on paper go, I print landscape - that way I get 2 per sheet and the bar/QR codes still scan.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply