Refund

saarzi
Community Member

I just did a refund for a $1.50 item - this wasnt a return request, I just refunded through Paypal.

Ive never bothered checking before, but I noticed I was refunded 0.04 cents from Paypal (says it was a fee reversal).  The original Paypal fee for the sale was 0.34 cents.

Why is this? I figured they would either refund the whole fee, or none at all. Looking back through my Paypal history, all the refunds are like this. 

Also, am I right in assuming if the refund is done via Ebay, they dont refund their fees either?

I dont care either way, I just cant believe Ive never checked before, and want to know exactly how it works so I can take all that into account when Im doing my accounting etc.

Thanks 😄

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Refund

The 30c fee is the fixed part of the Paypal fee which is not refundable.  If you do  a full or partial refund, you get the relevant portion of the 2.4% back, but not the 30c.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Refund

If you do the refund via eBay, the eBay fees are credited, so that's the way I tend to do it now, except for partial refunds.

I just let the buyer know I'll initiate a cancellation through eBay, which should trigger a refund, and that they may be asked to confirm they received it (using buyer asked to cancel).  

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Refund

DG...This is the way we have done it too on the 1/2 occasions we have had to.

We have received a fee credit fro ebay. But I have never checked the paypal account to see if they issued a fee credit.

I would assume so with the exception of the 30-cent transaction fee, as their argument would be that a transaction always took place even after a refund. So they keep the 30-cents.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Refund

ohh good one. Ok I will do that in future.

I just never bothered to check because actually giving someone a refund is rare and at the end of the year, Im still on top anyway.

Spoiler
and because Im lazy Lol

Oki dont, thanks all, looks like I need to fix a few things on my spreadsheets lol

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply