Reported buyer for malicious bidding

bldj1926
Community Member

I sold a car tyre for the princely sum of $10 with strictly cod all over my listing. The buyer paid by paypal. When i contacted him he about it being cod only on delivery, he said "nah dont worry then". Further prompting by me confirmed he didnt want it and had today bought a tyre direct from manufacturer.

I reported him for malicious bidding. Is there something else i need to do. Such a time waster and this person has blue star of 285. go figure!!

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Sorry but you are completely in the wrong here.

While neither buyer or seller have Paypal protection for a pick up item you cannot refuse the payment no matter what you say in the description. Saying you will not accept Paypal in the listing is actually a policy violation. You also have quoted COD as a payment method, thast does not stand for pay on pick up, it stands for Cash on Delivery which means you either use the very expensive Aus Post COD service or you deliver the item yourself and collect payment when you get there.

The buyer did absolutely nothing wrong and if ebay contact them because of your report you are the one who is going to end up with policy violations against your account.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Must agree with pho.

Should have listed pick up only yet there is no way to say No PayPal without violating the rules.

I suppose you can say No Pay Pal pleese?

Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

My listing says " Cash only upon pick up- No pay pal". No postage is offered in the postage tab too.

Ive sold all my ebay stuff as such for last few years and everyone seems to have understood. This buyer is located 50 plus kms from me. Would he really expect me to post a car tyre to him that he paid $10 for?  I would hate to think what the postage for that would cost. I have read on forums here before that when selling for pick up only you should only receive cash on pick up as the buyer could claim through paypal and end up with money back plus the item.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

My listing says " Cash only upon pick up- No pay pal". No postage is offered in the postage tab too.

What part of it is a policy violation to state no Paypal if that is an offered payment method didn't you understand and yes you would be expected to either post or personally deliver the tyre if the buyer chose COD, if you wan to offer cash on pick up then if that option is not showing you need to click on add/remove options and tick the box to display it.

Once again nothing you say in your listing overides the information at the top of the listing where you clearly offer Paypal and COD.

The only way a buyer can get their money back for a pick up item is if they fund the payment with a credit card and then ask the bank to do a chargeback. As long as you take precautions like insisting on photo id with an address and getting the buyer to sign a receipt to say they have accepted then should they try that on you have more than enough evidence to go tot he police and the buyer is unlikely not to remake the payment when threatened with a charge of obtaining goods by deception if it is their card or frwaud if they used somebody elses.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

furthermore....if its illegal to sell with the comment " no paypal" then why does ebay allow the posting to list as such to begin with? I think im done with selling as pick up on here. I'll stick to buying from now on.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

thanks phorum. Unfortunately i could not list without the paypal option. As my last post mentioned, im done with pick up only selling.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@bldj1926 wrote:

thanks phorum. Unfortunately i could not list without the paypal option. As my last post mentioned, im done with pick up only selling.

That's not quite correct as EVERY listing must offer one of three recognized safe payment methods, being either PayPal, Paymate or Merchant Credit card

Matey, you listed incorrectly, you have definitely offered Cash on Delivery as a payment option.

You really need to not list with that option if you don't want to offer it.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I heard of that scam of picking up and paying in cash only to claim never to have recieved the item. It sounds far fetched but I suppose it is possible. So you take a picture of the guys carring away the item and waving goodbay?

Then again if they say "I never recieved the item" you can say, no prob, I never recieved payment ...

Smiley FrustratedSurely, we are not in Nigeria, that must be a very rare occurence. Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@2bargainhunter wrote:

I heard of that scam of picking up and paying in cash only to claim never to have recieved the item. It sounds far fetched but I suppose it is possible. So you take a picture of the guys carring away the item and waving goodbay?

Then again if they say "I never recieved the item" you can say, no prob, I never recieved payment ...

Smiley FrustratedSurely, we are not in Nigeria, that must be a very rare occurence. Smiley Frustrated

that is hardly a scam, as cash payments on pickup offer ZERO buyer protections . . . . . so why would a buyer then claim to have not received the item?  Who would they make that claim to?  How could they expect to get or enforce any refund?

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply