Scam Listings

I have noticed an increased number of very obvious scam listings of late in some of the categories on eBay I follow.

To the experienced eye they are obviously a scam, but it could also be very easilly to get fooled.

For example, 1 oz gold bullion bars with a buy it now price of (say) $2,000 when the spot price of gold is around $2,300 per ounce.

An example yesterday was for  4 units of a (rare) Australian coin token listed at $2,389.  The listing copied the listing heading/wording and photo for the same item listed by a reputable coin dealer at $2,450.

In each of the above examples the listings were by new sellers.

For the benefit of all concerned there need to be a simpler process to alert eBay of these scam listings. - The current reporting processing is not adequate

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Scam Listings

@porcelain_dolls_by_me wrote:

I have noticed an increased number of very obvious scam listings of late in some of the categories on eBay I follow.

To the experienced eye they are obviously a scam, but it could also be very easilly to get fooled.

For example, 1 oz gold bullion bars with a buy it now price of (say) $2,000 when the spot price of gold is around $2,300 per ounce.

An example yesterday was for  4 units of a (rare) Australian coin token listed at $2,389.  The listing copied the listing heading/wording and photo for the same item listed by a reputable coin dealer at $2,450.

In each of the above examples the listings were by new sellers.

For the benefit of all concerned there need to be a simpler process to alert eBay of these scam listings. - The current reporting processing is not adequate

Does the reputable coin dealer know about this? Have you alerted them? They have the 'weight' to do something about it.....all else is speculation...sadly

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Scam Listings

Caveat emptor.

They are looking to sell to ingenues.

Although an ounce of gold might well be because that was the price when listed. Hardly a scam if the seller is going to make a loss over spot prices. Which could well be less next week. Or tomorrow. And still be a reasonable profit on what the seller actually paid.

You're drawing a long, unstrung, bow on this.

Sales down?

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply