Scam adds on ebay homepage

Hi guys,

Is it just me or you are also getting some scam adds on ebay homepage when you go there from your mobile?

The first time it tricked me because I thought it from eBay. It tells you that your phone model is eligible to enter a draw for Iphone 7? asking you some stupid questions like "Who made fasebook/google", then it will get your phone number, your email, asks you to answer a few more questions. If you do not stop it will probably never ends dragging you into more scams. Then it wil start sending your email about some gifts from eBay, Aldi, Coles etc. These are scam too. It all happened to me a few months ago and I am getting like 5 emails with these "gifts" everyday.  I know a lot of people get the same emails as some of them are already marked as phishing by other gmail users.

And the same happened to me yesterday when I was trying to check something on ebay.

Is eBay completely gone  crazy allowing to run this type of adds anywhere on there pages and especially on the home page?

Yesterday I was not tricked into this scam but surprisingly I could not even close this add to proceed to ebay home page. I had to restart my browser to get rid of it.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

go-tazz
Community Member

Facebook and others sites have similar adds/promotions that do the same thing,(they obviously don't screen

them or the money is good enough for them to ignore the adds,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

dont know if you are able to but i run an adblocker on my computer and as soon as i log into ebay it blockss 8-13 ads straight away. maybe there is an adblocker for the app?

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I had that the other day when I was trying to discover whether my internet problems were Telstra or modem related (modem, btw).

My phone's Avast software immediately told me it was malware.

Which makes sense - why would I be offered a trial of an iPhone 8 when my phone is a relatively old Samsung?

So likely nothing to do with eBay, except that the scammers have decided to target people using it.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Even if you tick no not interested in the survey questions, they still hound you with phone calls. A friend is still getting bombarded with emails and phone calls from falling for it. I have helped them block some of the emails which have slowed them up a bit, but they just use different domain names and it all starts again. Between us we've managed to block a lot of the phone numbers (most of them are mobiles). If they get ignored enough they use a different phone.

Edited to add: I've had those ads pop up on my phone. Avast didn't alert them as being malware. I knew what they were so got rid of them. From memory they were something like "as a google user, you have just won an iPhone 7" or something like that. I'd never own an iPhone if you paid me.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply