Selling Replica Items

rustify
Community Member

Hi all I was wondering why eBay doesn't allow people to sell replica items such as Louis Vuitton, or Chanel if it is listed as replica in the description.  I have seen people listing replica Louis Vuitton as LV rather than "Louis Vuitton" and starting bids at $20 rather than $200 however when I tried to list one of mine my listing was removed for a violation of the rules!  I know who the member is who reported my listing so why isn't this member doing the same for every replica item on eBay?  

Please help me understand this ruling and advise me on how to deal with this member.  I had in no way attempted to mislead any buyers in believing my handbag was real!  

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Selling Replica Items

chuk_77
Community Member

the answer is because it is illegal to sell fakes

it is illegal to post fake items ( i think)

Yes many sellers do it but its just they have not been caught out yet

It makes no difference if you are upfront about them being fake, its still against ebay policy and the law. Hence others mentioning police raids at markets

Message 11 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

You came for "advice" and were given it. This was done by existing members with experience.

You refute their advice which is why you were "mocked".

You refuse to accept the answers that you were given even though they are honest and truthful.

Why bother to ask the question if you refuse to accept the answer?????

Message 12 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

I am not wanting to list an item and then allow that buyer to mislead a non suspecting retailer!  There are numerous FAKES being sold on eBay as the real deal, my question was why not allow people with "FAKE" items ( is that better) to list them as this on eBay so that the buyer knows what they are buying rather than leading them into false beliefs that they are purchasing the real deal! As a large number of designer items being sold on eBay are!

Answer) Because it is not legal to sell fakes, replicas, knockoffs, copies . . . . and the penalties for doing so are severe.

Additionally, I do not think the 'but others are doing it' defense will help anyone if they do list/sell "replicas" and get caught out and prosecuted.

Selling Replica Items

Using the scenario of selling fake money to buyers for lesser amounts is an absolute useless way of trying to undermine my question!  How is that even a comparison???

its a comparison, because selling FAKES is illegal, fake copyright brands or fake banknotes or fake stamps, it is all illegal and can and will be dealt with by the australian police.

I am not wanting to list an item and then allow that buyer to mislead a non suspecting retailer!  There are numerous FAKES being sold on eBay as the real deal, my question was why not allow people with "FAKE" items ( is that better) to list them as this on eBay so that the buyer knows what they are buying rather than leading them into false beliefs that they are purchasing the real deal! As a large number of designer items being sold on eBay are!

again, simply because some do it before they get caught doesnt make it legal.

People come to this forum for advise from existing members with experience, not to be mocked by people such as yourself!  if you can't answer a question without being sarcastic then why bother?????

I am an experienced ebay member of over 13 years trading on ebay, and I did bother, in Post #1 , honestly and truthfully, without sarcasm but you seem to have not liked my reply ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 14 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

You can't justify what you want to do rustify.

Some people speed although it's illegal however there are consequences just like there are on ebay. 

Think about this; by telling us you want to sell fakes there are even more people now who can watch your activities and report your listings. 

TCT
Message 15 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

I used the fake $20.00 notes to try to help you understand that no matter the item it is illegal to sell counterfeit items.

You don't seem willing to accept that not only is it not allowed on eBay but you are happy to sell fake items which THEN could be sold to some unsuspecting buyer.

I am more than happy with eBays policy on these matters because I don't believe that anyone has the right to steal someone else's designs, logos, or reputation for financial gain.

Message 16 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

Having your item removed from eBay is the least of your worry.  If LV people found your ad they could have taken you to court and would have been awarded damages.

I recall seller couple of years ago who sold Lacoste (?) shirt believing it was real; the company bought it and their solicitor send her letter of demand for $800 (or something like that).  Her solicitor managed to talk it down to couple of hundreds on basis that she herself bought it on eBay believing it be genuine, but it did not fit her.  Of-course, the solicitor would have to be paid.

As others said, it is actual criminal offence to sell, poses, give or post fake designer item.

That is why eBay (advertising medium) will remove any such an item if they are notified, however they cannot employ enough people to find and remove every fake out of the many millions of items  listed

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 17 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

I can't remember how much Lacoste wanted from the duped seller but it was a lot more than $800, it ran into thousands and it was only because her solicitor convinced them that she had done it unknowingly and was happy to provide all the details of the seller that they got the compensation reduced, from memory that was still a couple of thousand dollars.

And don't forget the seller foxy reported, that ended up with their home and storage being raided and them being arrested.

OP do you still think ebay should allow people to list illegal items?

How far do you go with that, should they allow listings of automatic guns with ammunition, the odd healthy kidney for transplant?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 18 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

nanahu
Community Member

Over this last year I have noticed an increasing number of replica (fake) copies of certain postage stamps being offered for sale on Ebay.

They try to explain this away as making an alternative cheaper version (COPY) of a costly or expensive original more available to Ebayers.

I have no problem with this if they are duly marked as fakes or replicas across the FRONT of the stamp IN INK !

But instead, it is pencilled (in some cases) as "Fake" across the REVERSE.

This leads the path open to unscrupulous people ( believe me, they are out there) to remove the marking on the REVERSE and on- sell the replica (COPY) as an ORIGINAL.

Unless you are an expert, you would not be able to differentiate between the two, as these so called "Replica's" are photo images of the originals, even down to the same colour and perforation.

These replica's, copies, fakes, are usually of MINT stamps which are even harder to authenticate than similar stamps which have cancellation marks ( bit harder to replicate) 

I see this as blatant mis-use of Ebay where the buyer should have full confidence in the seller to offer goods of original quality, not some cheap immitation of an original unless otherwise marked as such. (ACROSS THE FACE OF THE STAMP)

Message 19 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

It's illegal .  A federal offence.  Buying counterfeit products is illegal and so is selling them. 

As an individual you can be fined up to $50 000. 

Is it really worth it? 

Message 20 of 68
Latest reply