Selling to the USA and UK . Buyers are having to pay for each individual sale.

Myself and at least 6 other card sellers are getting alot of complaints by our overseas buyers in both the US and UK .  We have all complained to ebay and are getting no where.   Our customers want to purchase more than 1 item at a time usually a minimum of 5 up to 20 items and straight after purchase are directed to pay immediately.  so they have to pay for every item seperately and hence cant be bothered .  Who can blame them?  Why is this happening when ebay customer support has told me i have my settings correct?  How can it be corrected ?

Message 1 of 121
Latest reply
120 REPLIES 120

even worse...this from the ebay uk site.."The eBay Shopping Basket icon is located in the top right-hand corner of main eBay pages. You can add items listed in GBP £'s only; items in other currencies cannot be added to the basket. You can also save items to your basket and buy them later or watch them in My eBay. "........so UK buyers are blocked from 'adding to basket' and instead forced to pay individually....jeez ebay sort it out

Message 101 of 121
Latest reply

I had several conversations with eBay live chat regarding this months ago when I first noticed it happening and following is the only response that's probably close to the reason why they made the change.

I also couldn't understand why some buyers from the US/UK could check out without paying and why others said there was no way they could buy now and pay later ie make multiple purchases and wait for an invoice. When I received this response I went back and checked out the buyers who told me they had to pay immediately and I couldn't see problems with any of them - some had accounts which were years old with lots of ordinary feedback etc but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes ie if they've made a few PayPal claims etc. Like others have said it's still happening and it's no doubt a permanent policy change.

eBay's response:

"I have reported this to our technical team previously and I was told that eBay will require some members to pay immediately even if the seller does not mark an item as requiring immediate payment.

Most likely, international buyers didnt meet some criteria that local buyers met so they are required to pay immediately. Based on experience, fraudulent buyers are from overseas. Thus immediate payment is required for some accounts that our system is suspcious of."
Message 102 of 121
Latest reply

It sounds like ebays response to you is a lazy blatant untruth, I also have a UK account (in very good standing) as well as an aussie one, so I get to visualise the buyer experience, it has nothing to do what you have been told . Most of the responses I get are based around the browser the buyer may be using, which again is another very lazy response. Ebay have rolled out a number of updates that seem to prevent some UK/US buyers from combining shipping, the CS team are fairly helpless in resolving this and the tech team seem to be in total denial. Meanwhile ebays sales, profits and shares underperform. They need to fix the glitches

Message 103 of 121
Latest reply

I really don't care anymore what their reason is because my selling days will end come 1 November but I'm sure what's been happening isn't just a glitch. If it were a glitch it would have been fixed long ago. It's deliberate affecting only some accounts.

What do you mean you have a UK account and have tested the buying experience? What exactly did you test? And what would that prove anyway if in fact they are risk assessing accounts in this scenario? We don't know what eBay's criteria are. On that basis, if you were able to check out without paying then your account fit the criteria and if you weren't able to then your account didn't fit the criteria. Proves nothing.
Message 104 of 121
Latest reply

Thanks for your input. Interesting. But it doesn't fit the examples I have had whereby one buyer successfully purchased multiple items from one Aussie card seller but could not do the same with me on the same day. This buyer sounded quite savvy with a good amt if eBay feedback too. Sooooooo frustrating. It is intermitant and there is no pattern that I can see.
Message 105 of 121
Latest reply

I agree there is no pattern, I regularly get the mantra about browsers from ebay, but that means that their updates are causing the problem. It certainly does not have anything to do with a adverse risk assessment of buyers....that is just nonesense. Can you imagine the approach.."oh you are a slightly dodgy buyer so we are going to force you to complete checkout for each item individually and deny you the chance of combined shipping" ...I think not.

When you view items in the UK through a UK account there is no add to basket, for reasons highlighted in an earlier post (ie it is priced in an overseas currency so cannot be added-which is a glitch that needs fixing). So you click 'buy it now' and are taken directly to the 'checkout' screen and offered 3 choices pay now with 1.Paypal, 2.Personal Cheque 3. Other...thats it, there is no area on the screen that allows you to continue shopping with this seller...which is a glitch that needs fixing as it always used to be there. This last bit is where the tech team is in denial as they think it is still there.  We live in hope that one day soon it will be fixed

Message 106 of 121
Latest reply

Wasn't there an announcement from Ebay recently that they will no longer be supporting out of date browsers?  I presume this means that if they make a change to the site that causes an issue for users with these browsers, Ebay will not provide a fix other than to suggest the user update their browser version.  So maybe the fact that there seems to be no pattern is because it only happens when the buyer is using an out of date browser?  Just a thought.......

Cheers,

Penny
Message 107 of 121
Latest reply

How does it then work for one seller and not me? All in the same day? The buyer would be using the same browser for all purchase
Message 108 of 121
Latest reply

Yeah, I guess they would, like I said, it was just a thought.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 109 of 121
Latest reply

When you view items in the UK through a UK account there is no add to basket, for reasons highlighted in an earlier post (ie it is priced in an overseas currency so cannot be added-which is a glitch that needs fixing). So you click 'buy it now' and are taken directly to the 'checkout' screen and offered 3 choices pay now with 1.Paypal, 2.Personal Cheque 3. Other...thats it, there is no area on the screen that allows you to continue shopping with this seller...

------------------------------------------

I wonder then how a UK buyer bought something from me last week and paid me two days later ... lol ... I guess they have the only UK-based account with the basket option.

You seem to know exactly what's causing the issue and you definitely know what isn't causing it - hopefully one day eBay will listen to you!

Message 110 of 121
Latest reply