Sending cash to buyer - how to protect yoruself?

I'm about to send $440 in collectable Australian banknotes to a buyer.

There is a little voice in the back of my head saying, "What if he takes the cash on arrival and says that nothing was sent and asks for a refund."

How do I proect myself when sending banknotes to a buyer?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

There is no protection.

A motivated buyer will find a way to scam you.

The time to worry is before listing.

Never list anything you cannot afford to lose.

Cash on collection is the only safe way.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

You're sending with tracking, right?

Also consider signature on delivery (although technically only required for items valued over $750).

What kind of feedback does this buyer leave for other sellers?

If you have any concerns, it would be better to cancel the order with the "problem with buyers address" reason so that you don't get a defect.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

jellybirddesigns,

not a very good suggestion - to cancel citing "something wrong with the address"

We know someone who read the same advice on these boards, he thought - great, that's easy, cancelled the sale.

Well, not only that he got into a spot of trouble with Ebay for lying (buyer must have got in touch with Ebay and told them that was **bleep** excuse), he also got a neg. f/back saying "there is nothing wrong with my address".

OP, don't cancel the sale giving the ficticious reason - that is asking for trouble!

Take the letter to JP, put the notes into it and seal while in front of him, sign the stat dec. - but JP will have to post the letter - not YOU!

Weather they agree to that is another matter.

Also, no registered, signature on delivery, tracking... none of that will help you against the claim that there was nothing in the envelope!

Only the witnessed JP document, with inclusion that it was personally posted by JP.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

@fixnwear - I've had a few occasions to cancel sales (mainly due to buyer feedback) and I've always used that reason or whichever one doesn't give me a defect.

Not once in 17 years of trading have I ever had an issue or a comeback.

Plenty sellers on these boards who have cancelled sales in the same way and not had an issue.

Better to cancel a sale if you're unsure than to lose $400+. Ebay cannot force a seller to send an item and even a possible neg is better than a financial loss. 

Don't think any JP will help the OP in the way you're suggesting.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Jellibirddesigns, yes, of course not sending in the first place rather than losing money is prefferable - but telling lies especially like the one about the address that is easily disputed makes one look like an idiout and amateur!

And, no, most JP's wouldn't go to the trouble of posting the letter, but some would.

It would pay to call some of them in accessible area, tell them the problem and see what happens.

And you, cancelling so many times using this lame excuse - why not just tell your buyer exact reason why you don't want to deal with them? And don't send the item, and call Ebay as well as tell them exactly why you don't want to send anything to people like that!

And who knows, if they keep leaving excessive negs Ebay may even close their account.

And ask Ebay" Would you deal with this person? If yes - you are welcome to them! As I won't touch them with a barge pole"

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

I decided to send the cash but my wife recorded a 10 minute video which shows me counting out the notes, packing them into a box, sealing the box, inserting it in a satchel, sealing the satchel, driving it to the post office and handing it to the person behind the counter, who scanned it and handed me a printed lodgement receipt which I then held up to the phone to record the number and time.

All of this was done without a single cut. I hope that will be sufficient evidence should there be any issue.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

It won't stand up to any type of scrutiny if the buyer pulls a fast one.

If buyer opens a case, all you can do is respond with a refund or proof of postage.

Ebay can't and won't accept "video" evidence.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

@fixnwear - I've had buyers who have left more than 50+ negs for sellers try and buy from me, so Ebay has no problem in letting these problem prone buyers continue.

Just because I've cancelled on a buyer, does not mean I've done it often. In the 17 years on Ebay, I've cancelled on a buyer approx 5 times and ONLY because either their feedback is a sea of red dots, or their enquiries to me are questionable and make me feel as if they are thinking of ways to pull a fast one.

In no way do I have to justify myself to a buyer who I think is trying to scam me, nor do I have to have a whole conversation about it with them either.

In the old days, if a seller felt uncomfortable, they could cancel with the reason "Problem with buyers address/OTHER". Now I believe it just says "Problem with buyers address", but it is the only option for a seller to use if they wish to avoid a problem buyer. Ebay often makes things more complicated for sellers than they should be.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

The buyer has no negative feedback and has left no negative feedback for others. Member since April 2017 but limited feedback.

Hoping for the best, but have proof of postage with signature on delivery.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply