Shill bidding

Another dodgy seller falls through the ebay cracks.....

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Shill bidding

go-tazz
Community Member

eBay wont do nothing about shill bidders as they make more money for them,(such as these ones that keep

raising the price to the $25 or more price that the seller wants as a minimum).

These next three are all connected to the one account and have being reported on a regular basis,(the middle

one is their newest one but none have been removed and the seller has had no sanctions imposed).

So don't waste your time and just bid once at the end of an auction or use a sniping service so that a shill

bidder doesn't get an opportunity to raise the price,(these three actually shill by putting on a bid well before

the items finish so the price automatically goes up).

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 449
Items bid on: 236
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 80% Help
Bid retractions: 2
Bid retractions (6 months): 3

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 74
Items bid on: 17
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100% Help
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 0

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 262
Items bid on: 219
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 91% Help

This one could be another one,(but it's possible that they are trying to get multiple items from the one seller

or just like their items and are determined to win one of them at the price that they are willing to pay):

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 62
Items bid on: 10
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100% Help

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Shill bidding

Hmmmm?? I get the shill bidding bit, but what are the stats we're looking at?

Sorry, blonde hair day.

Melina.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Shill bidding

@clubesquire wrote:

Hmmmm?? I get the shill bidding bit, but what are the stats we're looking at?

Sorry, blonde hair day.

Melina.

The high percentage that they have from bidding on auctions from one seller shows how they only/mainly bid

on items from that one seller.

Having bid retractions can be an indicator as well,(it's where they bid high to find the other buyers highest

price,then retract their bid and then put in a bid just below that price)

There are also other ways of checking but they can't be posted on the boards for "legal" reasons.

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

Shill bidding

Oh thanks!

Can you tell me where I find these stats pls? Like those above.

Really!!  So wrong and dishonest. Some bad people selling. Perhaps more than we know and buyers have just had enough. Or perhaps that's why some buyer are so distrustful and communicate so coldly, as if they're expecting to get done over, but buy in the hope they won't. This is really bad.  What's wrong with people? I'd much rather give someone a dollar than take it away from them. I dont like deliberate dishonesty, because it shows malice and bad intent, underneath. It's scary really when you can't trust someone. Giorgio is too kind. He gets caught. He would have this morning if Barry hadn't been here to do a bit of research. Ooooooh I get the shivers.

Melina.

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Shill bidding

Melina, not so much stats but just the bidding history of bidders.

Select an item with bids then click on the number of bids.

The list of bids will appear and if you select any of the bidder's ID, you will see the same as the above info.

Shill bidding is sometimes obvious when a bidder has 100% on one seller and the items are totally unrelated.

Such as a TV, stamps, shoes, a cabinet etc.

Genuine 100% bidding may be if the seller sells collectables, stamps, coins and the bidder may bid on all.

So as tazz has pointed out when you get the combination of high percentage, unrelated items and a large number of retractions, a good chance it's shilling.

image host
Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Shill bidding

Thank you Kope's. Very clear now.

i needs to know everything .... lol.

Melina.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Shill bidding

Don't be afraid to get in touch with eBay if you suspect shill bidding - and by get in touch, I mean call them or have them call you. I've done it a few times, and while they can't give specific information, they've more than once confirmed to be that there is suspect bidding on an item, and taken action.

Reporting them through the "report item" link on listings seems to me a completely pointless exercise - have done that for numerous items and never seen any action taken on items reported that way.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Shill bidding

You can't get a bidding history of people bidding on your items as you can see their full ID. You can only see the history of those you can't see the ID of, like people you are bidding against on an item. 

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

Shill bidding

One could "log-out", couldn't one?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 10 of 29
Latest reply