Shipping goods overseas

psctish
Community Member

Hi There,

I've had a second hand Apple iPhone for sale for about a month, and it finally sold (via Buy It Now) to a guy in the USA.  He's offered to pay $200 above the asking price for me to send it via Pack and Send International Courier (once payment is recieved).  As an infrequent ebay user, can people in the ebay community please offer me their suggestions.  Does this sound dodgy or valid ?  Why would you pay AUD$915 for a secondhand iPhone from Australia?  Surely they're much cheaper in the USA.  I look forward to reading your feedback.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Shipping goods overseas

my first reaction?   run away as fast as you can

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Shipping goods overseas

cq_tech
Community Member
Sounds like a scam to me, and even if payment is cleared by Paypal, I'd be expecting a credit card chargeback some time down the track. IOW, I'd be having nothing to do with it.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Shipping goods overseas

the scam normally targets sellers like yourself with low feedback.  If you said yes to them you would most likely get a very official looking PayPal email indicating that the item has been paid for but the funds are being held in escrow until you upload a tracking number to PayPal.  The fake PayPal email will have links in it that you would be required to click on.  The one that you click on to upload the tracking number would load as an official looking page and when you put the tracking number into the page it will probably congratulate you on making the sale and inform you that the funds will show in your PayPal account shortly, but they never will.

HOWEVER, the whole scam is designed to not only part you from your item without any payment, it is also designed to trick you into clicking on links in official looking emails.  If you click on a 'login' link provided in an email you will be providing the scammer with your login ID and your password.  Never click on links in emails.  Always go to your PayPal account by either typing paypal.com.au into your browser or through a bookmark/favourite for the PayPal login page.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Shipping goods overseas

my first reaction?   run away as fast as you can

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Shipping goods overseas

cq_tech
Community Member
Sounds like a scam to me, and even if payment is cleared by Paypal, I'd be expecting a credit card chargeback some time down the track. IOW, I'd be having nothing to do with it.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Shipping goods overseas

Thanks for that.  It felt "dodgy" to me (especially with credit card chargeback).  While on the forums, I've read I can alter the listing to be only viewable in Australia.  I'll request a cancellation from the purchases, and alter the listing.  Thanks for the reply.  I really appreciate it.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Shipping goods overseas

Thanks for that.  Your the second to validate my initial concerns.  Thanks again.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Shipping goods overseas

the scam normally targets sellers like yourself with low feedback.  If you said yes to them you would most likely get a very official looking PayPal email indicating that the item has been paid for but the funds are being held in escrow until you upload a tracking number to PayPal.  The fake PayPal email will have links in it that you would be required to click on.  The one that you click on to upload the tracking number would load as an official looking page and when you put the tracking number into the page it will probably congratulate you on making the sale and inform you that the funds will show in your PayPal account shortly, but they never will.

HOWEVER, the whole scam is designed to not only part you from your item without any payment, it is also designed to trick you into clicking on links in official looking emails.  If you click on a 'login' link provided in an email you will be providing the scammer with your login ID and your password.  Never click on links in emails.  Always go to your PayPal account by either typing paypal.com.au into your browser or through a bookmark/favourite for the PayPal login page.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Shipping goods overseas

Hi k1ooo-slr-sales,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply.  I've requested the sale be cancelled.  (Suddenly the low figure offered by Telstra as a trade-in doesn't seem so bad, after all this mucking around).  Thanks again, I really appreciate the time you, and the other posters have taken to enlighten me.  I'll go back to pickup/cash only.  Thanks again.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Shipping goods overseas

Thanks curraone,

I agree completely.  Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Shipping goods overseas

you did well coming here to ask about this.

I have sent you a Private Message.  You can access this message by clicking on the envelope that appears beside your eBay ID (up near the top of the page) near the Help link.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Shipping goods overseas

Anonymous
Not applicable
golden rule

if it looks too good to be true... it probably is

also. always trust your gut feel.. if you feel somethings dodgy and the alarm bells are ringing, trust them
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply