Some Buyers Are Trying (VERY trying)

Long story as short as I can. Express Post small padded bag posted Sydney Thursday 9th Feb, Australia Post tracking shows delivered QLD Friday 10th. Monday 13th long message from buyer; “OMG just noticed tracking says delivered, it’s not there, I was home all day Friday etc”. I contacted AP who told me their GPS showed the delivery truck at the buyer’s address; they had a photo of the postie with the parcel in their hand in front of the buyer’s letter box. Hmm. Asked for the photo to be emailed to me; passed on this info to the buyer. Their response – “Oh well, it looked nice, I was looking forward to getting it.” Hmm.

Late Thursday 16th buyer opened a Request for Item not Received, demanding a refund. I entered the tracking number showing delivery  into the Request and added the info from AP. Several very late at night messages from buyer repeating that they had never received the parcel.

On phone to AP first thing Friday repeating request for delivery photo (which had never arrived). While organising that the AP person was able to tell me that another case had been opened about this parcel. On Tuesday 14th, claiming compensation for item tampered with in the post. They confirmed the buyer’s name, postcode; the claim was that the item had been delivered as tracking showed but the Express Post tape had been removed, the bag opened and item removed. AP thought these conflicting stories suspicious.

I immediately added the bare bones of this story to the Request, intending to speak to eBay later in the day. Immediate message from buyer, claiming again they had never received parcel etc etc. Three hours later message from eBay – Case closed by Buyer. Followed by message from buyer – can you guess? “I just went to my letter box ….” Surprise! Surprise! “It is a very nice cameo, thanks very much, have a nice day.”

Obviously on the barred list, but at least they saved me a chat with eBay. They certainly tried VERY hard.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Makes you wonder how many times they, and those like them have tried pulling the same scam but gotten away with it 

Good on you for not simply falling for their stunt, no questions asked 

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Good grief, it is so lucky you took it upon yourself to ring up AP to look into things.

No wonder AP thought the conflicting stories were very suspicious, anyone would. The buyer got too greedy, trying to double dip, by the sounds of it.

I am hoping that, had the claim continued, that your evidence of GPS at seller's address plus tracking showing the item as delivered would have gone in your favour, but I know in ebay land, that isn't always the outcome.

So glad you have blocked the buyer. Makes me a bit relieved I am no longer selling when I hear these horror stories.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply