Sports Cards Shipping International Cost

Hi all,

I have always been a collector of sports cards and recently started selling them on eBay. To ship a card locally it costs around $6.95 with tracking which is fine.

However when i need to ship a card internationally, it costs at least $21.00 without the package i am using. This is of course with tracking and i can post up to 5 cards for this amount. I have had several complaints from customers that it should not cost this much and i agree with them. It is in fact just a 2.5" x 3.5" piece of cardboard with a 20-30 point thickness.

I know eBay in the US has introduced a shipping scheme specifically for sports cards but it just for the local market. If i purchase a card from the US it does cost a similar amount.

Has anyone out there experienced similar issue and if so what have you done to overcome them?

Much appreciated..

John

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Can you send as a registered letter?

Small prepaid envelope

DL, 130 x 240mm
Up to 500g

Buy 1: $17.70
Buy 10: $16.83 each
Buy 50+: $15.94 each

Or maybe just send as a letter without tracking and take the chance of losing a few?

Letter (50g)

Up to 260 x 360 x 20mm

Up to 50g

$3.40

Letter (125g)

Up to 260 x 360 x 20mm

Up to 125g

$8.30

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

You will have to do some research. We went through the same issue on how to send our cigarette cards.

Do you have enough padding in your cards to perhaps absorb some postage?

Must they be Registered?

Maybe instead of automatically sending Registered, offer as an option to the buyer with the knowledge that will be dearer. Then the buyer makes the commitment to pay the extra, ie taken out of your hands.

If you offer lower postage, (unless they choose the dearer option) you will probably sell more, and this could help offset some of your postage expenses. 

What are other sellers doing? Especially long time sellers, they have usually got it sussed.

How do you pack? Could you use different packaging?

There is a CD box available BX7 costs $1.55 from PO, (suits CDs and DVDs),  

another option BX9 Mailer, (Suits CDs and Photos) $1.25 from AP, but could buy from online sellers a bit cheaper, perhaps these could be alternatives? 

And there is a hard white envelope from online sellers that comes in DL and also C5 size, (and possibly larger)  We use them for our cigarette cards, gives the strength of cardboard and as long as doesn't go over 20mm thickness will go as letter rate. Not tracked but gives some protection.

I often stroll along the PO shelves looking at what they have for packaging and have found a couple of items that we use, or bought similar online.

Will take some time to work out what is the best option, probably will depend on value, location and quantities sold.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Most other sellers are using the same option as myself. My worry is that if the item gets lost without tracking then eBay will side with the buyer regardless of which option they took up.

Regards

John

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I've come up against this.

Pre Covid - with regular economy flights - a large letter - $2.20 - Standard Airmail.

Still a large letter can go for the same - but that is for ' documents only '.

Anything containing other than documents - now goes as a parcel - with tracking - $21 - depending on wieght of course - to the US - a bit more to Europe.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Can I will international register envelope to ship trading card? I found the tracking area says document only, I did couple times before but today I just realise that envelope says document only.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Yes all items sent via letter post must be documents now. Changed at the beginning of covid.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Hi, I am also in a similar position. I recently returned to selling early Trade cards (inc. Cigarette cards) on eBay after a break of several years. Naturally both eBay and Australia Post had changed in the meantime as they always do over time. I have no problem with Domestic post, I send letters with goods up to $75 un-tracked and wear the risks. Over $75 I send tracked, with extra insurance if appropriate. International is another issue. Registered International is NOT tracked once it is leaves Australia, so it does not meet eBay requirements. Express International does track Internationally but expressly prohibits 'goods'. Which leaves International Parcels which is prohibitively expensive. Why does any of this matter you ask, it doesnโ€™t until you claim, when you will find yourself liable after jumping though their many hoops, including stat. declarations. If anyone has experience and answers, please share them. 

Regards, Edward

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

P.S. International Express Letters prohiting 'goods', not the Pacels, which are prohibitally expensive.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply