Sticking with BIN in my store now Auction prices are CR*P!

I'm a fairly new seller , just selling off my collection of vintage jewellery but I'm noticing I can get decent prices BIN in my store but Auction something and its practically paying them to take it away 😕

I've had 3 auctions end tonight that were seriously disappointing on item I LOST $100 on ... I was waiting for the last second bids that didn't come.

Is this a common trend on eBay ?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

this topic has been discussed a few times.

ebay is not the ebay of 5 or 10 years ago.

when i first started using ebay as a buyer there was little alternative to buy stuff worldwide.

now the selling on the internet has grown so huge, ebay isnt that competitive anymore.

if you need anything you can 'google' it and yes, ebay is usually in the top 10 sites but often not the top.

auctions are not the bargains they once were as sellers are more savvy to pricing their items. and they are adding into their prices ebays charges. also postage prices have risen a lot.

no one wants to sell at a loss, most new sellers get stung first time when they see any profit eaten up by fees and chages, so next time they put higher prices on their items.

if people are selling items at half the buy it now price its prolly because they are still making a profit at half the price of BIN.

those sellers are most likely based in china i suspect.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Thankyou ❤️
Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I run auctions with the option to BIN (which disappears when a bid is placed). I do quite well with auctions. I think it depends on which category you are selling in. Some categories would be a complete waste of time, e.g car spare parts or stationary. 

I start my auctions as the minimum I'm willing to accept because most items sell with only one bid. I don't generally check what other sellers are doing, but a few times I have, my start prices are way below their BIN prices and I still make 1000%+ profit on each item after fees and charges. It might explain why I have way more items in my sold folder than they do.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

That's is correct there is Google Shopping which takes you to certain sites when you type in what you're after.

And ebay isn't first on the list haha.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply