The "Views" count not working?

A ten day auction finished with four views noted by ebay. Highly doubtful unless the listing was invisible.

A ten day auction had eight views in the first ten minutes of being listed.( I doubt it was even visible in ten minutes on the site)

Do the views count actually work or is it just a ebay gimmick?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

ebays entire system doesn't work properly. I have some listings that have a negative view count

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

The first lot of views are actually ebays the ones that appear instantly when you have listed.

And I guarantee that if ebay are hiding your listing then no one can view them and there are reasons why ebay do hide them.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Quite often, what my iPad says and what my laptop says are 2 entirely different things when it comes to views. Makes life interesting!!!

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

As Crow said, the first 3-4 views that appear within the first few seconds / minutes of listing are Ebays bots that run through each listing checking for issues, illegal content, and whatever else Ebay wants to check for.  Your own views of your own items also count as a view. Beyond that, who knows.

Sometimes I dont even get bots looking at my items for over a week. Even though the item is searchable, 0 views. Sometimes Ill get 70 vuews in 10 days (my new accounts BTW, which are NOT linked by paypal details, CC or name / addresses, consistently get MANY MANY more views than my old regular selling account (same types of items and desciptions), as well as many more EBay emails invites and incentives to use the site. Probably not a coincidence).

As Dylan said, the entire system doesnt work properly (or maybe it works for Ebay, they just havent told us the truth about it all, hence we think its broken).

I think EBay has made their whole back end so complicated that it just doesnt work very well any more, and it would take an entire overhaul to fix. So while the views are inherently 'broken', they also seem to be manipulated by EBay as well.

In other words, ignore them, even if they do work some times, thats not much help if you cant distinguish between working and not working. So its likely they really arent telling you anything particularly useful.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

It just proves that it has gone all hey wire because I have a second chance offer that has received more views than the original listing and I thought that only the person who has received the offer could view it,but it looks like every bot wants a squiz at it lol.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply