They truly have no idea.

go-tazz
Community Member

Received this on a listing that I didn't re-list due to it not being worth it,(it was a BIN at $8.99).

Sell Tip: We recommend changing the selling format to Auction. Similar items in auction format had starting

prices around $6.00 and sold for between $5.00-$10.00

If I started the listing at $6 it would probably sell for $6 and I would lose money on it,(after fees it's a "profit"

of $4.93).

Postage is $5 for a nett loss of 7 cents,(they make money and I lose money is the main reason I don't do a

a lot of auctions anymore).

I'll donate them to the op shop instead,good.gif

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

They truly have no idea.

Yeah, they are only automated marketing lines that randomly rotate.

I was selling a car for 8,000 that didn't sell and the one that came up was - Try starting your auction at 99 cents.

Those tips may work against very naive members but still won't lift the site, if anything only create problems.

And amongst seasoned members, eBay only loses credibility.

image host
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

They truly have no idea.

Yes, it's terrible advice for new sellers.

Sometimes the automated advice comes up to relist the auction item with a starting price of 99c !!!!!!!!!

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

They truly have no idea.

The last time I listed on this account the 99 cent start suggestion used to come up,(so found it strange that

this one said start at $6).

Starting at 99 cents is bad enough and starting a car auction at that is fraught with disappointment,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

That's how I started selling on here and it was good in some cases and shocking on other listings.

But in the end I was one of the lucky ones that ended up in front as postage costs were lower and I had some

very good sales that put me well ahead,good.gif

I would never start any auction at 99 cents now and I now start them at the minimum price that I want for the

item/s as recommended by the members on these boards,(who know a lot more about selling on this

site than eBay ever will),good.gif

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

They truly have no idea.

They tried to tell me "similar" items have sold for less on some of my stuff, too... Only, they're original, one of a kind handcrafted things, my price was was a bit over $40 on one of them, they suggested $6~

unimpressed

They just grab a few keywords / category details and then match it with the cheapest listed, I think. 

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

They truly have no idea.

I'm sure there are those on the top floor of ebay who rekon all auctions should start at 99cents. they dont live in the real world.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

They truly have no idea.

@digital*ghost wrote:

They tried to tell me "similar" items have sold for less on some of my stuff, too... Only, they're original, one of a kind handcrafted things, my price was was a bit over $40 on one of them, they suggested $6~

unimpressed

They just grab a few keywords / category details and then match it with the cheapest listed, I think. 

That sounds about right,(small amount of effort on their part for some return).

After all,they just want the item to sell so that they can collect fees,(they don't care whether you get a fair price

or not,as this way it should sell),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

They truly have no idea.

@davidc4430 wrote:

I'm sure there are those on the top floor of ebay who rekon all auctions should start at 99cents. they dont live in the real world.

It is the worst advice they can now give a seller as it creates a lot of angst were the buyer thinks they have

bought a cheap item but the seller won't sell as they'll lose money on it,shok.gif

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

They truly have no idea.

yep, no idea Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

They truly have no idea.

ytwo000
Community Member

they should rename themselves as "greedbay"  !

all they care about is for the seller to sell so they can rip ya off with fees. !

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply