This doesn't just STINK it REEKS TO HIGH HEAVEN.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you search ebay.com.au the best match is essentially worldwide.

A buyer has to scroll down the left hand side to select Australia only.

When you search ebay.com then ebay.com is ALREADY PRESELECTED for you.

C'MON ebay. Explain why ebay.com.au isn't preselected HERE when Australian

buyers perform a search on ebay.com.au.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

True... I actually click on Australia Only a fair bit thesedays.

Does anyone know how these worldwide sellers are able to be on our main site? Are they just listing on eBay.com.au or is it something else?

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would guess that a great many buyers wouldn't have a clue about refining search results.

When the search results default to Worldwide they would include sellers who deliver to Australia.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

eBay's original explanation for it was that it "filled gaps" in categories where very few items were listed locally. That explanation loses a bit of merit when categories that already had hundreds of thousands of listings (eg women's clothing - click Australia Only and you go from over 1.8 mil to   a bit over 500k...meaning there are now more than twice as many international items than local). 

The only way, IMHO, something like this has a chance of changing is if buyers complain about it, as opposed to sellers.

soul, anything listed on the AU site has to be in AU dollars. If it was listed on another site, it will be in that site's currency and the prices appear in italics on the AU site.

Clicking Australia Only will remove any listing where the item location is not Australia, regardless of which site it was listed on. 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

When I look at the overseas listings in a general search on au ebay the postage might be showing as $5.00 but when I go to buy the item the postage is more likely $28 or $38.

How do I get it show the cost of postage to Australia?

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Clicking Australia Only will remove any listing where the item location is not Australia, regardless of which site it was listed on. 

d*g I am finding a few listings are circumventing the Australia only option, how they are doing this I don't know but I wish it could be stopped.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

d*g I am finding a few listings are circumventing the Australia only option, how they are doing this I don't know but I wish it could be stopped.

It should depend on the location of the item, meaning that if I list something on the US site, but set the item location as Australia, even though the listing is on another site and in another currency, it won't be filtered out after clicking Australia Only. It's the country part of the item location that matters, which is why other sellers get away with putting things like Hong Kong, Australia, or even just ????, Australia, and still show. 

If I list something and set the item location as, for example, Manchester, England, even though I'm located in Oz, and the listing is on the AU site, it should be filtered out of an Oz only refinement (in a listing like that, the postage tab should say something like "economy [or whatever service is selected] delivery from outside AU"). 

If any remain in search result after clicking Australia Only and the item location isn't actually Australia (whether truthfully or not), I'm not really sure how or why. 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

There is a large bookseller whose item locations are -

From UK,

via airmail to

Australia

Those show up as location Australia. And no amount of reporting seems to get them disciplined. But most book titles will have 80% of listings by 'Australian' members dropshipping. Most admit it, but some don't.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

There is a large bookseller whose item locations are -

From UK,

via airmail to

Australia

Those show up as location Australia. And no amount of reporting seems to get them disciplined. But most book titles will have 80% of listings by 'Australian' members dropshipping. Most admit it, but some don't.

I'm hoping that will (largely) be addressed when the item location is based on a verifiable postcode. It won't stop a dishonest seller from putting in a valid Australian postcode if they truly want to mislead buyers, but in turn I hope that makes sellers who do easier to report (with action taken, of course). 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply