What Australian ombudsman do I contact to file a complaint against ebay?

I have beeen trying to sort an issue with ebay out for a while now. In a nutshell ebay has been the most evasive and unhelpful organisation I have ever dealt with.

Is there an ombudsman that can help with this issue? I am based in Australia.

Message 1 of 146
Latest reply
145 REPLIES 145

unfortunately it is very hard when another seller or a company has bought vero rights on ebay and their automated searches find your products for sale. They may be official but if the company says they are not then all you can do is  write to the seller/company that has made the complaint with evidence that it is not a copyright. They may also be the authorised seller of that product and to protect their store any parallel importing will not be aloud.

Essential it is their word against yours and unless you go legal then not much you can. Gumtree has less restrictions!

Message 141 of 146
Latest reply

Will never buy from ebay again! My partner got injured by a hazardous furniture, but we may not getting our money refunded because we can’t find the packages as the seller requires, and ebay did nothing to stop the seller to sell such products. instead we are the ones who get punished! Ebay is absolutely a helpless organization which is going to be bankrupt within no time if keeps running business like this!

Message 142 of 146
Latest reply

@delphicxi,

Judging by the feedback you have left, you've had so many bad experiences with buying on eBay that I would agree with you; eBay is probably not the best bet for you.

If you are buying cheap items from sellers who are clearly not authorised sellers of quality items made to Australian standards, there is a high risk that you'll be dissatisfied. Can you perhaps think about buying locally, from shops where you can view/inspect and try out the items beforehand?

If you do buy on eBay in the future, make sure that you understand fully just what sort of coverage is offered under the eBay Money Back Guarantee. (It's not a warranty, for instance...) If you do need a warranty, you must buy Australian, and not only should it be an Australian seller, but one who is an authorised dealer of the item you are purchasing. There is protection available when buying on eBay, but it's not a product warranty so you need to take that into consideration.

I hope your partner wasn't too badly injured.

(Just for the record, the MBG will at least cover an item that is not as described, and you can make the claim within 1 month of the item's estimated delivery date (or actual delivery date). You could also claim through PayPal for up to 180 days after the transaction date.)

Message 143 of 146
Latest reply

I had multiple support people ended the chat requesting me for a refund on a seller fees after I refunded the buyer, they ripped me $58 for nothing and I ended loosing $450 too for the Item the buyer claimed its not working though its a brand new router and is covered by a 2 year warranty.

Also on multiple occasions they refused to refund me the fees after I imported from gumtree which I was supposed to get 2 listings for free. 

ebay has a very bad ethics of ripping people off and charging a lot in terms of fees.

Message 144 of 146
Latest reply

I have just lost a dell laptop and $1300. I advertised on eBay, buyer paid eBay who paid me. sale was for collection. buyer emailed me through eBay and asked where to pick up and that she would be there in 30 mins. I gave her address. she picked it up and I failed to get a signature. 10 days later she contacted her bank and raised a dispute that she denied the transaction. Ebay told me that they and I could do nothing about it except pay the $1300 back. they said it was out of their hands. They then took money out of my bank.

Message 145 of 146
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 146 of 146
Latest reply