What a ridiclous joke!

es1989
Community Member
I know that it has been mentioned often, but just to blow of some steam.

Not last financial year, but the one before we turned over around $1800 a week across our eBay accounts, and had a profit margin of 74.3%.

Last financial year, this dropped to around $785 a week and a profit margin of 69.8%. This was despite during this period offering free postage, subsidised premium postage services and doing many promotions/sales.

So far this financial year the average is $340 per week, with a profit margin of 63.4%. This despite the introduction of a 30 day return policy.

Normally Christmas is a good time of year, but so far it has go quieter not busier this year. We had only one sale last week!

I will be reducing my store levels this week, it has just become a joke. We are now considering to just stop buying new stock, and when our 1200+ items have sold, just closing our accounts. I use to love selling on eBay, it gave us a good income boost. But now, it is just a stressful disappointing smear of siht! I have given up looking for light at the end of the tunnel. EBay doesn't advertise much for small sellers, gumtree seems to be their new focus for everyday sellers, but that place is **bleep** for most things.

RIP traditional eBay. Hello new large retailer eBay.
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

What a ridiclous joke!

unfortunately I share the same sentiments

I like many others who have also noted on this thread will run down my stock and close up shop

3 to 4 years ago I had a business generating a decent income

now it would be laughable to even call it a business, would not even go as far as calling it a hobby

slowly slowly ever so slowly winding down

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

What a ridiclous joke!

x3n0m
Community Member

I don't want to appear biased but when you get a banker/lawyer one of the richest in the country who runs a secretive business/investments via the Cayman Islands as Prime Minister one has to expect this kind of stuff .. I am sorry but can see no solution as we are now too far gone; the "negative geared welfare" housing market has been spruiked too far and workers' wages, entitlements and conditions have now been savaged to the point where we can barely survive, certainly little or no money left for luxuries .. make another plan, grow some vegies, live in a tent, learn bush survival techniques; do anything but rely on the politicians to sort this mess out as they did it all deliberately to create free money and cheap labour for their mates in high places and are too vain/conceited to admit they made any mistakes ever .. it really is too late now and we will see this slow motion trainwreck  go into fast forward in the coming months .. you may loose all your money/possesions in the coming year/s but keep an eye on your health as the survivors will need that .. prepare .. GOOD LUCK WITH IT ALL FOLKS ..

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/labor-attacks-malcolm-turnbull-over-investment...

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

What a ridiclous joke!

Unfortunately you are selling in one of the hardest categories on ebay.

Women's clothing and jewellery would be the most oversaturated categories.

Even budget chain stores such as Big W are doing it tough in the clothing sections....most of the stores are buzzing but you could shoot a cannon in the clothing section and not hit anyone...even this close to Christmas.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

What a ridiclous joke!

Even my sales have slowed right up and I was still selling when others weren't. I don't think it's helped that eBay are flooding people's inboxes with discounts to all the big box sellers. I am not in competition with any of them but I still think it's contributed to my downturn in sales.

One of my accounts will lose TRS come the 20th. Each account this month had fees of between  $1.50 and $2.75. Big difference to a few hundred bucks 6 months ago.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

What a ridiclous joke!

I think you are right Tippy.

I have been saving my purchases up waiting for the pre Christmas discounts given by ebay.  I was wise to it from last year.

I have been able to get all my DVD's, a new grill pan, a DVD player and a few other bits and pieces that I would normally have bought from smaller stores, or in the after Christmas sales.

It is had to go past the 20% discount offered on ebay without the hassle of crowded shops.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply