Why can't I leave negative feedback for a buyer that didn't pay?

Ebay should change their policy's about non paying buyers.I can not leave a negative feedback for a non paying buyer.Ebay live chat told me they will keep their eye on that non paying buyer but they still get to keep their 100% good feedback.WHY

I thought a contract is a contract.Why dont Ebay fight harder and also leave a negative feedback on all non payers,cut their feedback good scores down by half and leave a very embarrassing,non paying comment on their feedback or just kick them off instantly before that person does it to others.NO chances,you bid,you dont pay,delete account.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I've just updated those options. Very helpful.

But  back to the original question and thankfully we've not had one bad customer. I can understand the frustration though, of sellers who are put through the wringer by a bad buyer, and I believe there's plenty out there. After having a good look at some of the protective options though, that I just did, I feel there is enough there to insulate oneself, without entering into the **bleep** for tat process of neg feedback. Sellers and buyers alike can see through inappropriate and spiteful feedback anyway I think. And, it always comes back to 'he said, she said' so really, I struggle with the whole point of it, even though I know there'll come a time when I'll feel the pressing need to be vengeful.

You live long enough to understand that some human beings were hit pretty hard with the nasty stick.  I Just pity them really. I mean, what an awful life they must have, whether it's created by themselves, or otherwise.

Be happy, take the high ground, move on and put a smile on someone else's face in the knowledge that others will clearly see your own good character and good will through the nastiness of someone else. I think most people are very forgiving and still look for the good before the bad. 

Melina.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

@clubesquire wrote:

But  back to the original question and thankfully we've not had one bad customer. I can understand the frustration though, of sellers who are put through the wringer by a bad buyer, and I believe there's plenty out there. After having a good look at some of the protective options though, that I just did, I feel there is enough there to insulate oneself, without entering into the **bleep** for tat process of neg feedback. Sellers and buyers alike can see through inappropriate and spiteful feedback anyway I think. And, it always comes back to 'he said, she said' so really, I struggle with the whole point of it, even though I know there'll come a time when I'll feel the pressing need to be vengeful.

You live long enough to understand that some human beings were hit pretty hard with the nasty stick.  I Just pity them really. I mean, what an awful life they must have, whether it's created by themselves, or otherwise.

Be happy, take the high ground, move on and put a smile on someone else's face in the knowledge that others will clearly see your own good character and good will through the nastiness of someone else. I think most people are very forgiving and still look for the good before the bad. 

Melina.

What frustration/ And how would leaving a red dot ease it? As opposed to - wait for days, open a NPB, wait for days, close it. And get your FVF back. Which negging a non-payer certainly won't do. Nor will leaving a false positive.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@clubesquire wrote:

Melina.

What frustration/ And how would leaving a red dot ease it? As opposed to - wait for days, open a NPB, wait for days, close it. And get your FVF back. Which negging a non-payer certainly won't do. Nor will leaving a false positive.

Dunno how I did that once, much less twice. Four.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

Leaving negative feedbacks is a two-edged sword. I ban members (I won't call them buyers) on sight if I see that they leave a lot of negative FBs. Say, 5-6 out of the 25 on the first page of their Feedbacks Left for Others screen is enough for me. Regardless of whether or not they have bought. Those people can go buy somewhere else as far as I'm concerned. Also, when someone complains about a transaction or asks a question, the first thing I do is check their FBs Left for Others screen. How I deal with them depends on if that screen is as bright as a Christmas tree or not.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

I think you should read my post again davewil.

Melina.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

I can understand some of the frustrations non-payers cause - more particularly to those who run auctions on singular items, since from listing, to finishing, to being able to open a case, to closing it, and relisting again, the process can take a couple, or even a few weeks, for no gain. Sometimes a seller would even have to pay fees on a non-existant sale before a UPI dispute would be finalised and they can get the money credited back. 

Negative feedback isn't the answer, though, IMHO. There is very little that's practical to it, other than allowing someone to read the comment on a profile, if the profile is public. I do acknowledge that the comments themselves may be enlightening for sellers in some cases, since I know there might be times I'd handle a sale differently if there were some (shall we say) intgriguing comments from other sellers about the buyer's habits - that's more applicable to [initially] paying buyers, though.

For NPBs, I personally feel the most practical solution that would enable sellers to feel in control of the situation and diminish the problems it causes, is not feedback or disputes, but the introduction of a 'cancel transaction due to non-payment' option, which ideally becomes available after whatever payment timeframe the seller has set (and realistically if they only accept electronic payments, as well). eg If I could set terms such as payment required within 3 days, then 72 hours after purchase this option to cancel becomes available, which would completely and immediately void the transaction, and neither party can leave feedback, I'd be ecstatic. Disputes are archaic, regressive, unnecessary, adversarial, and a timewaster in terms of how long they take to resolve. 

Blocking would then become a matter of X cancellations due to non-payment within any given period. Nice and simple.

One of the other reasons I don't think neg feedback is in any way effective is because the buyers who don't care enough to only buy stuff they're going to pay for, won't care about some red dots (I have seen the same pattern of behaviour on sites where negs are possible for buyers - they honestly just aren't bothered). 

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

davewil is correct about your post because this thread is about leaving neg feedback for non paying buyers so there is no frustrations to a seller as the seller has options to resolve the issue.

On the otherhand there is frustration toward those lying cheating stealing mongrel buyers.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I can understand some of the frustrations non-payers cause - more particularly to those who run auctions on singular items, since from listing, to finishing, to being able to open a case, to closing it, and relisting again, the process can take a couple, or even a few weeks, for no gain. Sometimes a seller would even have to pay fees on a non-existant sale before a UPI dispute would be finalised and they can get the money credited back. 

Negative feedback isn't the answer, though, IMHO. There is very little that's practical to it, other than allowing someone to read the comment on a profile, if the profile is public. I do acknowledge that the comments themselves may be enlightening for sellers in some cases, since I know there might be times I'd handle a sale differently if there were some (shall we say) intgriguing comments from other sellers about the buyer's habits - that's more applicable to [initially] paying buyers, though.

For NPBs, I personally feel the most practical solution that would enable sellers to feel in control of the situation and diminish the problems it causes, is not feedback or disputes, but the introduction of a 'cancel transaction due to non-payment' option, which ideally becomes available after whatever payment timeframe the seller has set (and realistically if they only accept electronic payments, as well). eg If I could set terms such as payment required within 3 days, then 72 hours after purchase this option to cancel becomes available, which would completely and immediately void the transaction, and neither party can leave feedback, I'd be ecstatic. Disputes are archaic, regressive, unnecessary, adversarial, and a timewaster in terms of how long they take to resolve. 

Blocking would then become a matter of X cancellations due to non-payment within any given period. Nice and simple.

One of the other reasons I don't think neg feedback is in any way effective is because the buyers who don't care enough to only buy stuff they're going to pay for, won't care about some red dots (I have seen the same pattern of behaviour on sites where negs are possible for buyers - they honestly just aren't bothered). 

I'm loving the ideas.

If sellers (or ebay) could set ads for payment by a specific time frame, after which a purchase was automatically cancelled (and ebay fees refunded) unless overridden by the seller, I think it would be even better. This wouldn't make any work for the seller.

The main thing i can see against it ever happening is ebay will not want to 'automatically' refund anything.

Even your system where a seller would have to manually tick the box to cancel the sale would be too 'easy' for ebay.

I suspect they want the fees. They feel they have done the job, they put the ad up & it's up to you the seller to follow up. Yes they will refund fees but only if you work for it. And with any luck, some sellers won't bother so ebay will still get about 50% of the smaller fees.

Your idea is logical & has a lot of merit. Maybe I am just cynical about ebay. They may have to eventually introduce some such options though as i know of no other sites where a sale is considered a sale till the money has been paid. You can put things in a basket to your heart's content but it isn't yours till the money has been handed over. That's pretty standard everywhere.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

For heavens sake Kooka, read my whole post - in context!!

Goodness me. In any event, No matter the context you apply, all you have to do is read through these pages to understand the frustrations of some sellers, notwithstanding any provision, or option to resolve, as you put it. To some that very resolution is a frustration.

And I do understand.

But, it's such a petty thing. Let's just agree to disagree 🙂

Melina.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply