Why is PayPal holding my money

I recently listed 7 items for sale and I have posted 6 of them (1 awaiting payment).

When I logged into PayPal it says my money is on hold. I added tracking numbers to all 6 - why is it holding my money for 21 days?

It seems unfair that I had to pay $66 out of my own pay check for postage and wont be reimbursed until the money comes through. 

The 500+ I made from selling items was meant to go towards a present for my boyfriends birthday but because of the hold he wont get it in time.. is there anything I can do to get it sooner

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

As you're a new seller ie you haven't sold anything for over 90 days your payment will be held for 21 days until you meet the selling criteria that ebay has applied to your account.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

That sucks I've been selling on eBay for years but my old account was compromised when I had my identity stolen.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

New sellers are always subject to the 21 day hold on their funds.

If the online tracking shows that the items have been delivered and/or the buyers have left positive feedback you can ring paypal and ask to have the funds released.

Just uploading the tracking number is not enough to have the funds released.....paypal has to b abl to see it on the online tracking.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

It does suck as you said you have sold previously but because it has been more than 90 days then ebay instructs PayPal to hold the money for 21 days.

And if you intend on selling on a regular basis then don't allow it to go past the 90 days between selling otherwise it will happen again.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I know people have said to ring PayPal and ask for an early release stating that the buyer has given positive feedback and the item was received and then PayPal will release the money but they won't until a seller meets all of the criteria which from memory are about 3 things to qualify not to have funds on hold.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

paypal have done to me in past as well, there is a way around it but the forum won't let the reply stand if i write it.

and to add, i just sold an item just now...  i had 2 offers thru ebay and one thru another site and gave it to the last guy who offerred not because it was greater but because the sale did not involve paypal!!

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

So are you now allowed to sell on ebay and the same item on other sites?

I don't think you're allowed to do that

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

when i do sell  i'll post any item im selling where ever i can..  don't care what ebay says.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

So are you now allowed to sell on ebay and the same item on other sites?

I don't think you're allowed to do that

That used to be the case crow, but they changed it a couple of years ago. It's still not the best option if you happen to have the item sell on another site and have a buyer on eBay commit to it before you can end the item.

Almost a certain neg will result if the eBay buyer doesn't get it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply